1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible New Rig.. I'm GASing so hard my chest hurts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lburton2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Current: Eden WT550 & 410XLT
    Future: Jule "Monique" Preamp & Stewart World 1.2 Power Amp w/fEARful 1515/66

I. CANT. WAIT

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Holy cow! That's a bit of a change. Don't forget to protect your ears! :D

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    That would be really sweet, yes.

4. ART Pro Channel II -> bridged Peavey IPR 1600 -> fEARful 1515/66/1

Pretty much the end of GAS as far as my rig goes... Now I just have to get a few more basses... :bag::ninja::bassist:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That would work pretty ok I'd guess.

6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    i've been struggling to compete volume wise in a lot of situations with the 410.. Mostly because everyone I play with is stupid loud, mostly in small rooms, and the 410 has amazing throw, but is very directional and hard to hear when i'm closer to it (most the time I have to be). That and I want to shake the earth lol

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think that would be considered an upgrade, yes.

8. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I think this form of reply is new to me, yes.

9. I would go with pretty much any amp except Stewart for bass. They aren't bad, but I have seen too many of those get smoked too easily. Crown or even Peavey are more solid, dependable amps.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I hear they run warmish...

...I also hear they may not like being warm.

11. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I know I'm just one guy so this is anecdotal, but I've owned the Stewart 1.2 and never had a single issue with it going into thermal protection mode. I've also owned (albeit much more briefly) a Stewart 1.6 and 2.1, which both have fans, and had no issues. The Stewart 1.2 I used for 8 years I'd guess and played it pretty hard, then again I live in Seattle where 80 degrees constitutes a heat wave.

12. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    A fellow bassist in my area runs a Stewart 1.2 through a Demeter and an Epifani cab.. He lovelys his hi-fi sound and he does say it can get hot at times, but he has also never had an issue.

The WT-550 gets quite hot as it is, with a fan. And if I'm running the big cab like i'm planning, I shouldn't require all that much power to get to where i need to be volume wise.. So theoretically I shouldn't be pushing the power section that hard anyways.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well the one thing about a big cab using high xmax woofers with a low tuning is that they use more power than comparable speakers. You don't have to smack it with 1000w to make it usable, but you'll use a little more than usual to get it to the volume of a more "normal" cab.

14. Yes and no Jimmy. The 1515/66 sits pretty well in the middle of the pack as far as sensitivity goes. Are there more sensitive cabs out there? Sure. Are they great for a head sitting in the 100-300 watt range? Yep, but they may not be able to do anything with more, and where do their low ends roll off?

The thing that makes the fEARful so impressive is that they balance the low end extension, and the present mids while not giving up too much sensitivity and still having high power handling. They are not going to be for everyone but they have their niche, the same way that other cabs happen to be those stand out cabs.