1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible new shop size

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wildman2, Apr 21, 2021.

1. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Wife wants to buy me a 12x 20 garage that gets trucked in and set down. Just wondering if it’ll be a decent size for general wood working stuff. Not just basses and guitars. I did do a mock up in my 3D program. Seemed a little tight but doable. Table saw band saw and drill press will be floor standing,planer,joiner,radial arm saw will be table top type. Not worried about noise from it closest house is 100yards away. Power will be from a portable generator 12,000/15,000 watt.

2. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    200.gif

3. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Bingo.

Look into shop-built or bought (depending on your biases/wallet/etc.) bases that can have wheels down to move and wheels up to sit solidly, so you can easily rearrange to suit the project underway. Or put em on pallets and have a pallet jack.

AND NOISE. WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN HEARING! I Said WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN HEARING.... Use proper protection. Make sure you can count to 10 without needing to use your toes before and after using the shop, etc., etc.

4. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Prolly is. She does want new cabinets for the kitchen plus new cabinets underneath the 9x2 ft x3in butcher block that goes down middle of kitchen and custom book cases beside the fireplace. And some more freestanding bookcases plus other stuff so it looks like I’ll be real busy for awhile

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I say hold out for 16' x 24'.

It will be so much larger.

6. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    @T_Bone-TL Yup floor standers will be on wheels.I also have a 32inx54in butcher block that has pipe fitted legs that’ll be a work area and table saw out feed. The base from the 9ft butcher block will be in shop also same legs as 54in one

7. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    She wanted to go 16x28 but it cost almost twice as much. I kinda talked her out of it ooops. She still wants to go even bigger than 16x28.

bdplaid likes this.
  8. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I just had a Tuff Shed shop made. Less space than 12x 20. Definitely a vast improvement for me. I’d get some basic measurements of your tools and draft up a floor plan.

MynameisMe likes this.
  9. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Called it! Good thing is you get cabinets for the new 12x 20.
    So here's how we play this:
    Tell her it would make more sense to get the 16x20 shed first, that way, when you take the old cabinets down, you don't have to store them. They can come down and go straight out to the 20x 20 shed.

Gilmourisgod and HolmeBass like this.
  10. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Do you do electrical work?
    How far will it be from the house?

11. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    A
    already did a mock up in my 3D program with measurements from the new tools and old tools.

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't hold out,, let's see the floor plan.

13. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    [email protected] I can do all the wiring and put in box myself if I wanted to. Prolly also plumb it for compressed air from my 200psi compressor multiple hookups around the inside of building. Prolly 70 plus feet from the house.

14. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    It’s a fairly rough mock up just to show the wife.

15. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Whatever size you choose, you'll wish it was bigger.

16. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Florida
    Mine is 16 x 24 and if organized correctly plenty of room for builds.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    12 x 20 is just a bit bigger than my shop and it's not big enough. You've only got one shot at this I assume, so don't make the mistake of going too small.

tbrannon and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  18. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I see what she did there. ;)

19. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    Sneaky huh

20. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

I'm in a 10x10

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021