1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible new Taylor Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justabass, May 3, 2010.

1. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    Hey guys. The band I play with have been working with Taylor guitars for a while now. Bob Borbonus the artist relations rep at Taylor gave us an awesome tour of the manufacturing facilities on Sat. As soon as I walked into the test/demo room I saw this...
    Taylorproto2.
    It is was marked "Taylor Proto Bass" and is based on the T5 guitar. I plugged it into a SWR California Blonde set flat. I was amazed at the range of tone's. It has 24 frets and the controls are Bass,Treble,Volume and a 5 way switch like the T5. I could get a great middy Jaco kinda tone or a thick boomy upright sound out of it. I was also surprised by how well it slapped. It was also super light. I wish I could have taken better pics. I told Bob about the community here on Talkbass and he was fine with me seeing what you guys(and gals)think about the concept...I'll try for better pics next time.
    Taylorproto.

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

It would be interesting to see how well it plays as a fretless. The guitar players in both bands I play with have five Taylors between them. Thanks for sharing

3. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Nice Corona in the background.

Did you happen to see the Serj Tankian Taylor? :hyper:

4. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Thats the black with red binding one right? Yeah pretty much all the models were there. Couple cool new ones too...8 string Baritone with double 3rd and 4th strings and a 12 fret guitar that just sounds amazing...

5. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Yep that's it. Congrats on the tour. I'm sure it was awesome. If you go back and happen to stick the Serj model under your shirt for me, lemme know... :D

6. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Super nice! That is right in my wheelhouse. Now, passive shortscale?

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Wow, thats pretty badass, so, how does the 5-way switch react with two pickups?

Is one setting series, and one a kill?

8. looks cool, but my experience w/ Taylor is not so good. I think they are over priced and fragile ... just my 2ยข

still wanna try it though :D

9. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nope not a shortscale and it does have a preamp...Not sure if the pickups are active though. Would be cool as a shortscale though!

10. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    No kill...Just 5 completely different tones. I'm gonna get better specs soon as I can.

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Looks like a Dano.

Thought, none the less.

12. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    It looks to be similar in reach to the acoustic Taylors. Truthfully, I always thought they felt longer than 34" (even though they are not). I like the idea of it, but for myself, I would rather see a chunkier neck and maybe medium scale (32"). The shorter scale of my Rob Allen makes me believe that the wider string excursion of the shorties will get you closer to an acoustic bass sound. For my own taste, I don't need a skinny neck when I am thinking big and fat with my sound.

13. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Bob Taylor is a really cool guy! I am from El Cajon, California originally so I have toured his facility many times. I actually just traded off my Taylor acoustic guitar for a Music Man bass. But I have always wished they would make another acoustic bass. I really wanted one of the acoustics they used to make but good luck finding those! With this new prototype bass, it will be very interesting to see the final product once it is released.

14. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Bob told me they are working on shortening it up a bit. With that being said they are definitely going for a bass that will do much more than just be an acoustic.

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    uh-oh. Says its super light, too. Do I smell neck diving spoiling the party? What is the report on that? Did you play it standing with a strap? Looks great and always respect Taylor, but the neck dive has me worried.

16. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the EQ up by the neck is amazing. Perfect placement for bass.

Much like the Italia Mondial.

If you don't want to get this Taylor I think you might like one of those.

Not so much a Jaco tone but certainly big and fat.

17. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Man it is light but the body is huge. It def balanced well on my leg. I did not try it with a strap. I was gonna suggest to Bob that they should check out the Hipshot Ultralites though.

18. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I love their instruments, and still love my AB1. I hope they do it, but do a 5 and a 6 as well, with piezo and magnetic pickups.

Cheers,
    Cameron