Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible Output problem with Thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SacOnBass, Jan 22, 2005.

1. I was recently in the studio and the output from my bass seemed to be down. The producer even said that thats low output for a warwick. Changed the battery with no improvment.

I checked between passive and active with only minimal treble gain and no level gain what so ever. Could this be and issue with the preamp, or am I overreacting.

Also is it possible to change to a different preamp on these basses. It's a warwick 5string thumb bolt-on.

Thanks Guys :bassist:

2. I don't know if Warwicks have this feature, but I had a Ken Smith that had an overall output trim pot, inside the body cavity. Pickups could be too low. And there are a number of different preamps that should go right in your bass, but you should have a good tech look at your bass.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Is your Thumb a bolt on or neck through? If it is a neck through, there is a trim pot where you can turn up/down the preamp. It is located under the control cavity cover and you will need a small flat-bladed screwdriver to adjust it. If you have a bolt on, there isn't one, at least on fairly recent ones anyway. On my Thumb that I had, the pre amp was turned down all the way, otherwise it would overdrive my amp.

I almost forgot to mention, check the pickup height/string clearance. You may be able to lower your strings or raise one or both pickups to decrease the clearance between them. By reducing the distance between the pickups and strings, you will get more output. On the Warwicks with the MEC pickups, a little can make a difference in output. Be sure not to get your pickups too close to the strings though. The bridge pickup can be higher than the neck pickup because the string is tighter and doesn't vibrate as much as it would the neck pickup. Try a string clearance of no less than 1/4" at the neck pickup.

Now, if you have a 5-string Thumb, both pickups are towards the bridge so you may be able to get by with fudging the above figure a little but 1/4" should do it.