1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible Overheating Issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Dec 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey all, merry christmas (hannakuh/holidays/whatevrr you're into).

The last couple of gigs ivr had my sound cut out intermittently, only to suddenly return. I assumed at first it was a pedal or lead issue (difficult to test given the sporadic nature), but after last gig ive had the suspicion that its the amp overheating. Succeeding the gig my amp (an old Hartke 3500) was absolutely scorching hot.

I have a tendancy to run my fuzz and overdrive with almost maxed out volume, is it possible that excess pre-gain is causing overheating? Any other theories re-amp, pedals etc?

Cheers

2. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hartkes will cut out when they're pushed too hard and /or their speaker impedance load is too low. It's telling you that you're playing too loud for the gear that you have.

3. Seems the most likely explanation, we push it pretty hard.

4. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Sad but true, I had the same issues back in the 90's with my Hartke 3500...still love the those amps, but I got rid of it and replaced it with a Peavey T-Max which is still rocking to this day.

5. Im kicking myself because a store was blowing out peavey tour 700s a couple of months ago and I thought 'Nah, the Hartke's still going strong' :(

6. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Well I dont know what you have access to over there, but the hartke LH1000 has gobs of power and is pretty dependable. I had one for a year or so and only sold it to move into lighter Class D heads, but it served me well, however the sound is a bit different from the HA-series Hartkes.
    Ive sinced moved on to a Fender Rumble 500, and a new Peavey Minimega...but the Ol' T-Max stays in the truck as a back-up just in case ;)

7. Options are pretty thin on the ground here. How did you like the rumble?

8. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    I have had both the V3 500W Fender and the LH1000

The Hartke is a better head, but only just so. The Fender has lots of add on and seems to hold up well. My daughter used it 5 days a week at school with no issues

Either way you'd get a good product

Bassic Playing likes this.
  9. Thanks, ill look into both

10. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Or for that matter the LH500. Unfortunately these are $200ish here stateside. Hopefully these are available good used in Oz

11. They go for abiut $700 new here which is probably more than they're worth. Carvins go wlwuite cheaply though, and Ive heard good things about the bx series