1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible pawn shop score?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kjpollo, May 7, 2010.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    So I was in a local pawn shop a couple of days ago. The basses were uninspiring to say the least (crap, really) but they had a cab that really caught my eye.
    Ashdown 4x10 for $249?? Appeared to be in good physical condition but I had no time to test it out (plus I didnt have one of my own basses to use). 8 ohm and I think 400 watts. As long as the speakers are good-does this sound like a good deal??

I'm sure the price would come down but I'm thinking the asking price isnt bad as long as the cab works properly.

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    If it's a UK made ABM cab, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. I'd pass on the overseas model for that price.

3. Bassforyourface

Bassforyourface

Dec 17, 2008
  4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Well, it LOOKS similar to the one in the link-definitely had the blue speaker cones. I'm going to have to check it more closely to see if there's anything ID'ing it as a MAG model. I might be able to sneak up to the pawn shop tomorrow and get a closer look.

5. Look on the jack plate. PRC = People's Republic of China = no deal.

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Thanks VERY much for that bit of info- now I'll know what to look for.

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I was able to get back to the pawnshop today while out shopping for Mothers Day.

The jackplate very clearly said PRC so its China-made.

Once again-no time to try it out-had the kids with me.
    Assuming when I get to play it that the speakers are all intact, how low of a price should I offer them? And how high should I go?

8. i got one of those from a guitar shop used for 150.00 once upon a time.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    the mag models go for 300 new. so i wouldnt pay more then 200$ i scored an ampeg svt 15en for 150$ at gc a while back.

10. IME don't bother. Spend your money on the kids instead.

11. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Ok, so I guess this really isnt a score at all.
    I really need a 15 more than I need another 4x10 but I saw "Ashdown" and figured it waas worth investigating.

Thanks for the info guys!