Possible PC recording option(s). Pre's?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by odie, Dec 20, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok I am looking at moving up from my Tascam 788 hard disk recorder. I am thinking about the PC option. I need to record accoustic drums. So I should have enough inputs for all the mics on the drums(snare,kick, tom#1, tom#2, tom#3, overhead Left, overhead Right). So I would need 7. What are my options of getting 7-8 mics recording into my PC.

Software?? I was thinking Tracktion since it is free. Later might try something else as I grow.
    PC as of now is an 1800+Athlon XP, 512 Ram blah, blah. I can upgrade the processor and more Ram.

2. I spotted the Behringer (yeah I know, but bear with me) ADA8000 which takes 8 mic inputs and does the analogue to digital conversion and squirts the digital signal down an ADAT cable. So if you can pair that up with a soundcard that will accept an ADAT input then bob is your mother's brother.

There are other similar products but the Behringer is (surprise surprise) really affordable.

Check it out:http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun....htm?session=f08402f456c70c43304734f79b8ea9dc
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

First off and this is onthe record I am not from West Virginia or the Ozarks. So no family inner mingling.

What is needed for an ADAT input?
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Tracktion is a great program and very easy to learn. Highly recommended.

I think your issue is going to be the interface with the computer. You'll need some kind of card (with or without a breakout box) that permits at least as many simultaneous inputs as you have mics or input sources.

I lost track of exactly what devices are out there some time ago, but at the least I'd suggest you look up products by these companies:

Mark of the Unicorn
    M Audio

There are tons more, but I'm not quite up to speed these days.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Tracktion also now comes bundled with that Acuma mastering plugin that normally goes for 400 bucks. (Because mastering is an art in itself, one will probably end up spending 10x more time learning how to use that plugin itself correctly as compared to Tracktion as a whole! Once you get used to Tracktion's UI (it's weird if you're used to ProTools/Sonar/Cubase), it's very easy to use.)
  6. :D

Here's a picture of the back of the unit showing the ADAT optical port:
    Here's the front while we're at it:

Anyhoo, you're looking for a soundcard that will use the multi-channel optical input from the unit. You're looking for an "ADAT optical lightpipe" connection on the soundcard. The Event EZ8 is a PCI card with just those connections. http://www.event1.com/Products/Digital/EZ8.html (I've just seen this so I don't know whether you would really need to run this alongside your "normal" soundcard...

There's a table of which soundcards offer ADAT lightpipe optical I/O at the Cakewalk website. http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/audiohw.asp. Check out the Echo Gina or Layla interfaces for example. http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/Gina3G/index.php or the Emu1820.

I'm approaching the Behringer from the point of view that my MAudio Firewire1814 already has one of these inputs. If you're starting from scratch then maybe an audio interface that accepts multiple XLR inputs is what you're after. (My bad). I'm afraid I don't really know what to recommend in that case.
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey, if you're going to moderate a list I'm donating to I would APPRECIATE no mean comments about where I'm from and where my entire family comes from. I've got alot of pride for my state.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

My take is too lighten up alittle. It is in jest after all. I am from Minnesota and we hear the same thing and guess what....all of my inlaws and my wife are from West Virginia. As far as the mod comment...if you have a problem alert the mod in that forum.
  9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    When I go a week with no exercise I start to get a little edgy. Carry on!

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Not a problem and I meant no offense. You should see how those older brits get when we call them Limmy's!! :) ;)
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx for the info!!! Looks good but the soundcard I have just has a spdif which probably wouldnt work. Any card recommendations?? This looks good ---->Presonus Firepod.
  12. The Firepod looks amazing. If it's good enough for Tower of Power then it has to be halfway decent!

The MOTU Traveller is another option that seems to have a lot of versatility but only 4 XLR inputs. Another option with 4 XLR inputs is the Edirol UA1000 which is a high speed USB2 interface which ought to mean that it's a breeze to set plug in and use.

Happy shopping!

Meh - I'm not even rising to that one. ;)
    Have a good vacation (if you get one!)
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Was wondering if you would catch that.
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Most of the Emu cards accept adat cables.

www.emu.com you also get very nice converters.
  15. odie

odie Supporting Member

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Really?? So what am I looking for?
  18. I have a 16-track digital PC-based recording system that i use in my rehearsal studio. I use two Aardvark Q10 converters. They each have 8 XLR inputs where the first four of each can be set for phantom power. It seems to work pretty well. I just got a MOTO 828mkII for mobile recording to a laptop. The MOTU stuff seems pretty good too. The monitor mixer software that comes with the Q10 is pretty pathetic. The input levels of are adjustable via these tiny little virtual knobs that you have to manipulate with the mouse. One wrong click and you send the input way too high or too low. It's just horribly designed. The montor mixer for the MOTU (which lets you do 4 separate monitor mixes) is much better but I haven't used it too much.

- Dave
  19. Being a Scotsman I'm immune to your feeble insults... PAH! I wave my private parts at you.