Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible pick-up upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pdusen, Feb 27, 2005.

1. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm considering upgrading my pickups to a Sadowsky PJ set.

I use an ibanez GSR200. What it currently runs is passive PJ pickups into an onboard active pre-amp.

I wanted to know if there are any concievable problems with this installation.

Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't think of any problems you could have doing that.

3. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I mean specifically as far as the pre-amp goes. I don't know much about electronics, but I'm worried that the output of the pickups may conflict with the pre-amp, or something like that.

I won't be installing it myself, I'll have help.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    again, I can't think of any problems you could have doing that. If you have extremely high output pickups, and have pickups pretty close to the strings, you MIGHT hear some distortion. But the Sad pickups I've heard haven't been real high output.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have a Nordstrand MM5.2 pickup going into a Bartolini NTMB-918F preamp. The pickups are decently hot and I never have issues.

What kind of preamp is in your bass?

6. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    It's the standard GSR200 one, it's called PHAT II or something like that. As far as I can tell, all it really does is give you a "bass-boost" knob.