1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

possible problem with my 1001rbII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djm227, Nov 29, 2006.

1. djm227

djm227

Nov 13, 2006
    cleveland ohio
    I just got my GK 1001rb-II in the mail today from RMC, and plugged it in and everything. I havent picked up a cab yet, so i just rigged it studio style through the line out into a FireBox, to my computer, and a pretty low volume through my speakers. (not that this should matter)

The blue power light then started to go red for a couple seconds, then blue, then red, on and on, so i turned it off. I
    It wasnt blinking red to blue at first, only after a while. So is there anything wrong? or am i just paranoid. thanks for the help

2. brianhill

brianhill

Oct 27, 2006
    It shouldn't be going back and forth like that. It should start red and the quickly turn blue and stay there.

3. djm227

djm227

Nov 13, 2006
    cleveland ohio
    i realize now that its doing it when the volume is about halfway up, same with woofer. that however isnt that loud on my speakers since im doing line out, im guessing the amp is clipping and i didnt realize it because it seems quiet to me, but isnt that kind of a low setting for it to be clipping on?

but then again theres a clip light by the input section so that might not be it....ah im so confused

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What is the ohm load that you are putting on the amp plugging it up that way? That is most likely your problem, Your amp is looking for at least 4 ohms for it to operate properly otherwise it will go into protective mode (red light). You should not be plugging any load but a speaker load to operate that head safely.

5. djm227

djm227

Nov 13, 2006
    cleveland ohio
    nothing is plugged into the power amp section, the direct out isnt powered and is going straight into my studio interface (firebox). I see what your saying though. So if a cab is not plugged into it, and its turned up to much it goes red? (by the way i also found out that it only does it when the woofer knob is to loud). so if i do this quiet enough so that it doesnt turn red, will it hurt the amp at all?

6. From the GK 1001RBII manual -
    "Lower impedances should not be used.
    Higher impedances such as 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, or No
    Load are acceptable. One 8 Ohm cabinet is okay. One
    4 Ohm and one 8 Ohm is not recommended. No
    damage will result from operating the amplifier with
    the speakers disconnected."

Shouldn't be any problem not running a speaker load...

7. djm227

djm227

Nov 13, 2006
    cleveland ohio
    i hate wasting space bumping this, but rmc wants me to try a little harder to solve this problem before they go and exchange it. So is there any one else that has any suggestions? GK said theres a short somewhere, yet my sound is not effected when it happens (at least through my interface) and the amp does not mute. It usually happens while playing low notes at relitively high volumes.
    thanks

8. Assuming you've tried plugging into a different power source, it definitely sounds like there is a short in the amp somewhere. I would recommend having RMC replace it for you.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    You do know Dan works for GK?

Ive ran my amp without a load before, but just turned the woofer and tweeter down.