Possible reasons my cat's diabetic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 27, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Was just uploading some pix to photobucket so I figured I'd post em. This guy don't let me eat in peace:

100_2531.jpg

100_2534.jpg

100_2532.jpg

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Could be genetics within the cat, Joe. I had a Siberian Husky that we never gave table scraps, and she became diabetic at age 8. We did the special 'prescription only' dog food and two insulin shots a day for 2 1/2 years.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Looks like an "it's not delivery, it's DiGiorno" commercial...

4. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I had a cat who developed diabetes at about age 6. She was never overfed so I don't know why she got it. Even tho I gave her the insulin shot every day per vets instructions, and she got special food, she died in under a year.

Broke my heart. I never had a sweeter or more friendly cat.

5. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Our very large cat got diabetes, but thankfully went away after he lost weight. But seriously man... stop doing that!

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Awesome pics but Joe, it's not only gross to eat the same pizza with your cat, but it's gotta be bad for the cat. Stop killing the guy slowly. :p

7. Just wanted to add that Diabetes is more than one disease and not only caused by obesity.

T1DM is where the body doesn't produce insulin, T2DM is where the body forms a resistance to insulin. So both have the effect of inhibited (or complete lack of) hormonal control which controls how we metabolise sugars.

T1DM can be triggered by a number of things, though the sudden onset often makes it hard to know what caused it. Genetic pre-disposition can play a role, but it is often kicked off by something else, be it an infection or another metabolic or hormone disorders.

T2DM is the more common one and the form of diabetes which is on the rise because of soaring obesity levels, however, there are also many who are genetically pre-disposed to it.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Wasn't really askin why my cat's diabetic. :) Just wanted to post those pix cuz I like em. Itchkabibble is 21 years old, healthy, and has been diabetic and on and off of insulin for about 15 years.

As for why he became diabetic, I read a bunch of research that takes us back to the good ol corn industry (food inc. is a great movie, don't remember if they went into pet foods in that though). Cats are carnivors, yet just about all commercial cat food, even the "premium", uses corn gluten meal as it's protein source. Loads the cats up on carbs, they get fat, and they develop diabetes. This never used to happen in the 70s. Only now.

Anyhow, I don't feed my cat pizza either. He just really wanted some that night so I said what the hell. At 21 years of age I've started to give him whatever he wants. I love that guy immensely.

9. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    If he made it to 21, I'm pretty sure a couple bites of pizza isn't going to hurt him. He deserves to get whatever he wants.

10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    21 year old cat? Are you serious? Wow...

From Wiki

I salute you for taking such good care of that fella Joe, you two are legends in my book.:)

11. At 21, he has some right to not give a crap about his health!

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Kitteh must refer to Major Metal's guilty food fat thread, asap, and think about what he's done...

Naaaw. ;)

13. This is the coolest thread title I've ever seen.

14. Wow a cat my age, hopefully he had a good 21st

15. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    It's not if you over feed them, it's WHAT you feed them. Corn based and gluten based food is NOT good for cats and contributes to diabetes. Go with grain-free. Cats in the wild don't eat corn, and house cats are much more closely structured to their wild cat relatives than dogs are to wolves. Cats' bodies are not made to process grains and corn, they are strictly meat eaters.

Feed them a high quality canned diet if you possibly can. Cats also have a very low thirst drive and a cat fed strictly a kibble diet is more than likely suffering from chronic dehydration. Corn diets also contribute heavily to urinary infections in cats. If you can't feed strictly a canned diet, get a grain free high quality kibble and try to feed canned once a day. Buy in bulk, it really doesn't cost much more than mid-grade grocery store brands and you'll have a much better chance of avoiding vet bills, which will save you money in the long run.

Also, don't let your cat eat pizza. If that sauce has onion in it, you're going to eventually make your cat very, very sick.

Edit: nevermind, just saw your above post on corn and pizza and the cat's age. ;) I jump the gun when it comes to cats because I'm something of an enthusiast and can't stand how people often neglect their diets and needs because "they're just cats".

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Corn.

17. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Joe your cat looks exactly like my 19 year old bundle of joy!! It's uncanny.

18. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    That's awesome Joe. My cat from childhood lived to be 23. After about 18, we let her do what ever the heck she wanted. Great cat too. She'd snuggle with you at night, then slaughter blue jays during the day.

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    l.jpg

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    That's cute as heck.

Just make sure it's nothing unsafe or toxic to the kitty, and I don't have a problem with it.

My girlfriend used to feed our kitty little bites of strawberries because she looked cute eating them out of her hands. Then we saw this special on TV and it turns out strawberries (among many other things) are very toxic for cats. It's a good thing we never gave her more than a little taste once in a while, and this was a few years ago, she's fine. But not anymore.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021