1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible relocation to LA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crockpot2001, May 11, 2011.

1. It never fails that, when you need some advice, bass players and mountain bikers are the best go to.

The wife has been offered a job in LA at 444 South Flower Street, near the Financial District. We currently live in South Korea but were living in St. Louis before that. We will be looking to buy a 2-3 BR bungalo or other style small house. We want to live in a neighborhood that leans towards being safe-ish and has good services. Near public transport would be great too so we don't have to buy cars. Near kickass MTB trails would be even better as we are both avid riders.

It would be very much appreciated if you could dole out just a little guidence with respect to our criteria.

Cheers,
    Crockpot

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Mountain biking in SoCal is great, so you'll enjoy that. Unfortunately realestate is a bit pricey.

Sorry, I'm not much help with places right around the city. I lived in the burbs (Santa Clarita Valley) when I was out there.

Good luck.

3. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    :eyebrow: No car, in Los Angeles, you are joking right? The start of our public transportation system is renowned all over the world for starting where nobody wants to be and finishing where nobody wants to go. However you are in luck 4th Street and Flower are downtown, but like I said nobody actually wants to go there.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Oops, I missed this part. Yeah, you'll need a car.

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Before you move to LA, consider this:

They now have two really crappy basketball teams.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You'll need a car. You won't want to live by where she works. I'm pretty sure there is a station near there, which might make Long Beach an area to check out.

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not a house but there are nice condos.
    We need to know the budget. What gets you a great home in most places will only get you a crack house between warring street gangs in LA.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You should move to my area! Hacienda Heights is about 20 minutes to downtown LA, and sits on the foothills that seperate Hac Heights from Whittier. The infamous Turnbull Canyon! Lots of MTB rising, and public trans. can get you to LA, but busses can take a while out here. You'd be better off with a car, even if it was only driven to work.

2 or 3 bedroom bungalo, would an apartment do, are are you looking more for a house? $1000 - $1200 will get you a decent 2 bed, 2 bath apartment over here.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    yeah, Hacienda Heights is a nice enough place. I really don't recommend living in LA proper, it's a rather nasty place. Endless traffic, run down buildings, and some of the highest crime rates in the country.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Agreed. I like LA, and there are some nice parts downtown, but then right around the corner is a ****hole, everytime.
    My friends sister lives on 2nd st. The apartment complex is awesome, very new, and upscale feeling. But, you leave the complex, walk to the corner and turn left, and youre on skid row. I got my car broken into playing a gig near there. Someone busted out my window with a rock, took a case of CDs (no big deal, theyre all backed up digitally) and a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I had found in a rental car. Bastardos!!!

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Could you bring me a couple bags of those sweet crispy treats please? I really like them. I can't read anything on the bag, but I think they are made from corn?

-Mike

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The mountain biking around LA is primo!

The cost of living...not so much. You COULD live downtown in one of the many new residential developments they're building there. You'd still need a car on the weekends to get to trailheads. Better yet, live in one of the the many suburbs of LA that are mountain biking adjacent and commute via train into downtown.

Prepare for culture shock!

13. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    i commuted to the financial district for about 5 years. you can take a metrolink train into union station, from there you have buses, subway etc to get you to bunker hill.

there are ways to get to work without a car, but so cal is a pretty spread out metro area. i'm sure it's possible to live here without wheels, but most people here drive. i'll 2nd the opinions to not live in the city, too expensive to live in a sub-par neighborhood. best of luck.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ... wut?

16. We would certainly buy, especially in this market. Prolly in the 300-400k range. It's just the two of us but we have a LOT of bicycles and it's safe to assume friends and relatives might wanna visit. We may also need to work from home at times so a 3 BR is best.

17. We've lived in Incheon, South Korea for the last 3 years. We've oddly become less tolerant but have learned to turn our anger inwards, become self destructive and on the verge of alchoholism. When in Rome!:p

18. You will get nothing and like it. :bassist: Sweet Crispy? That's pretty much every snack product here and their Pizza too. It sounds like cap'n Crunch. Damn, I forgot about the Cap'n. I miss the USA.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    There are a ton of lofts, apts, & condos downtown. You're not from here so you don't really want to live east of Olive St (google 90012) or south of the I-10 unless you like a little bit rougher neighborhoods. They're not so bad if you don't look for trouble. There are also apts just west of the 110. It's true there is a serious dilemma of violence in South Central. I don't roll through there.

If you don't want to live downtown, South Pasadena & Pasadena are nice. Of course, there are undesirable areas too. MTA gold line runs from DTLA to Pasadena.

Koreatown 5 miles west of DT isn't as bad as it used to be; it's getting better & the pedestrian/nightlife is really good. It won't be a big stretch for you coming from S.Korea. The subway also goes from DT to Ktown.

You will likely need a car or truck. LA is very spread out. Very spread out. Used cars are plentiful & affordable (see craigslist) if you're on a budget.
    Send me a pm if you need a realtor to help you find a place. My friend of 24 years is with Sothebys.

Hardcore biking: look up Vasquez Rocks, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Grand Canyon (JK)

20. Good, specific advice. Thanks.

BTW - I am not Korean. My wife and I have been living / working in South Korea while she manages the construction of this project.

She is a "Green" architecture construction manager and LEED architect.