Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible scam artist

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by banditcosmo, Jan 11, 2003.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I don't know if this is the right forum but there is a possible scam artist offering to buy items for sale by someone named Micheal Joe. I got an email from him about a bass I posted for sale on this forum and It seemed fishy to me especially when he mentioned his international shipping agent (West Africa).

The following was posted on BassGear.com about this guy:

"The following is an email I recieved from 'Micheal Joe":
    "Thanks for the reply,i will take the offer and i will like to let you know i will be aoying in a cashier's check as soon as possible but i will need your full name and address with phone number so that i can foward it to my client in the states to issue you a check of $5000.
    I know the money is more,but i will want you to do me a favour by sending the remaining balance via western union for i will need it to pay my international shipping agent who will come and pick it up as soon as payment is made.
    You do not have to worry about the shipping,my shipping agent will come for it including the papper work.
    I will be waiting for your reply.
    Regards Micheal"
    To which I replied:"Great,I need your shipping address .But I need you to pay with Paypal.You can do that right?"
    And he replied:"I am sorry cause my client has already written out the cashier's check and he waits for your address which i will have to foward to him so as to send the cashier's check to you."

WATCH OUT!!!,HEY MICHEAL JOE,WE'RE ON TO YOU!!! "

I would stay away from this guy.
    Tony

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, somebody that can't even spell their name right is pretty sketchy :)

It's not possible, it is a scam. It's been going on for some time.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds very familiar.and suspicious. Here is a link to a page on the St. Louis musicians classified ads. The page is titled MUST READ Scroll past the virus alert down to BUYING SCAM and you will see a very similar situation. Obviously these people have been very active. Paul might consider posting his own MUST READ page on talkbass so nobody here gets ripped off by these people.

http://www.stlmusic.com/mustread.html