Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POSSIBLE SCAM! NEED SOME WISDOM!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by litljonny, Apr 21, 2005.

1. litljonny

litljonny

Apr 18, 2005
    Greetings! Recently I have sold my Carvin LB70 through ebay for 550.00. It has been used for about 2 years, maybe 2 gigs, no problems EVER! I played it, loved it, got good with it, then decided it was time for a 5 string. So i sold it through ebay. Before I sent it, I played active and passive modes just as I always would to make sure both pickups work (J99 and humbucker). Sent it through UPS with a HARDSHELL case ground overnight shipping. I recieved an email the same day he recieved the bass, and he says-

"stayed up late checking things out, the active side is definitely blown. the passive side works ok for the most part, except when you engage the coil tap (the little toggle switch), the signal is distorted. so whatever spike zapped the electronics probably did some damage to the pickup too."

We both found price estimates from carvin (no longer warranty) and got about the same answer....around 215 total to ship, new pickups and electronics, and labor. That's almost half of what I sold it for!!! I figure if they are blown I'll at least try to get a better estimate from a local store to save on shipping and labor.....but I'm not sure they're even blown or hurt if you know what I'm gettin at here.....

I talked to the guy over the phone before I sent it just to let him know I appreciated the fast payment and that the item was sent. He sounds like a real legit guy, real nice, seems smart too. This is why I am getting some other opinions :help: but when I played that bass for the last time, a week before I sent it, it was fine. Do active electonics still play when the electronics are "blown" and the pick-up hurt? Can electronics or a pick-up somehow blow while being shipped?!?! Please someone tell me.....Am I getting shafted?

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    to me,
    sounds like the battery kicked out.

3. I'd have him ship it back to you (at his expense) and refund his money. If he refuses, he's trying to scam you. I seriously doubt his story. :meh:

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats some big text.

I think you are getting scammed. Tell him to ship the bass back to you and you will check it out. If its as he says, you'll refund his money.

5. litljonny

litljonny

Apr 18, 2005
    thank god im not the only one then who thinks that, but does anyone know if blown active electronics would still play (in active mode) or is it just totally cut out?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like NovusOrdu said, tell him to check the battery first.

Otherwise, tell him to send it back and you'll refund money when it gets there - providing it does in fact have a problem.

7. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I've lost the war on gas also, just a different type. :p

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 - this is the standard answer for situations such as these. Make sure you have him pay for shipping.

9. What's his Ebay feedback record?

10. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Usually, if a pickup is blown (rare) it won't play. Battery. For all you know, he could be boosting or cutting certain frequencies that, while active, is creating distortion. He should set his amp and bass completely flat with low gain and test it.

-Eric.

11. Tell him to put a new battery in it. Bad batteries will cause distortion, particularly on low frequencies.

12. When I sold my Carvin LB70 the same thing happened. But apparently everything worked out because the buyer never e-mailed me back after the initial problem and didn't leave negative feedback after months and months. I would say it is the battery and that he can mail it back to you at his expense and that if it doesn't check out then refund the money. Ebay is hard. I have sold several basses on it and have purchased several, but it can be a crap shoot.

13. njdenis1

njdenis1

Dec 12, 2004
    moral of the story..dont use ebay..plenty of people can come and try it out so all of this can be avoided..there are wayyyy too many scammers on ebay thats just my 2 cents

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The moral of the story is use Ebay with caution. Also, keep your thinking cap on. I sold my Ric for 1095$ shipped on ebay, much better than I would get from here.

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed, you won't get top $ for your stuff here on TB from my experience. I've gotten significantly more on Ebay for the same gear I tried to sell here at a MUCH lower price (that never sold here). Guess the smaller audience and the more educated consumer factor here on TB makes the pricing lower vs Ebay.

So as a seller, you will typcically get more on Ebay but as a consumer (or buyer), TB is the place! :D

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I once sold a bass on ebay.....packed it like a tank in a hard case with bubble wrap inside and outside of the case. The guy comes back to me and says there is a gouge in the body and could I refund him half the money......duhhhh ok......not. I asked him for pics and also mentioned that I had taken out insurance on the bass. Never heard another word. In general I have had good experiences on Ebay but it just takes one scammer to change our opinion.

Tell him to return the bass.....don't send any cash.

17. I sold a Warrior for 2K on the 'bay. Much less than I would have gotten here. Very good transaction and used that money to secure a new custom.