1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

possible scam threads

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've noticed that possible scam threads often get closed, and then we never get an update to find out whether or not the "scammer" ever made things right or not. Shouldn't those threads be reopened and updated?

Examples:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f220/huge-trade-gone-bad-885503/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f220/new-bass-day-but-buyer-beware-890872/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/i-may-have-gotten-scammed-tb-904892/

I'm curious about those. And I think it's kinda important for us all to know. Especially with the last, most recent one.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Agreed. I think closing those threads protects the schmucks a bit too much. They knew what they were doing and they should be brought to light.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    It also seems to hurt those who maybe weren't schmucks in the first place, as in the most recent one.

But it seems nobody but you and I really care. :)

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Seems to me that it would be a good idea to list links to all the scam threads in one "master" thread. I nominate Joe to maintain it. :)

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I think one of the scammers who has made right for his crime should organize and maintain it. Community service. :)

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I would add the thread of Sonor drums for sale but "fretless wonder" removed it.
    We agreed to a trade but he flaked so of course I didn't send my bass.
    He already had one review of not sending a bass after selling it here.

7. I think there should be a master list. That would definitely keep TBers more honest in fear their thread would make the list.

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Would it? If I really wanted to scam I'd do a couple low amount deals and be a perfect customer / seller and then rip off someone for a Fodera. I guess it would cut out repeat offenders.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That seems like way too much of a hassle for most con artists. Not that I would know :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::p

10. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Perhaps TB should open a 'blacklist' Section that could host all these scam threads, bad deals, etc, as well as a master list of the TB'ers usernames and emails...

11. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    btw finditonlyhere is now on these....!

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I don't understand that?

And I still don't know whether or not Mcalve is a scammer, nor if the other guys ever made right their wrongs. :/ And I'm a bit surprised that so few people care. When it seems someone is getting taken or scammed everyone jumps on board, and then nobody cares the outcome? This is strange to me.

13. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    I care. But if you question the thread lock you get the ban hammer.

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It seems that some things are destined to remain mysteries, no matter how much or how many people care.
    Heck, I'm still waiting to hear the outcome of the counterfeit copy of John Turner's Ritter.

15. For those who want closure - after several days of back and forth, mediation from a TB admin, a claim through paypal & some name-calling the seller from "buyer beware" agreed to refund $40. I think he got off easy, but I just wanted to end the dispute. He didn't apologize for being dishonest or misrepresenting the bass, or for any of his childish, arrogant comments via PM. I don't know what took place between the seller & TB admin. I left honest feedback for him. He tried to leave revenge feedback but it was removed by admin. He is still a member, although he seldom posts and hasn't tried to sell anything else on the TB classifieds.

16. +1

17. Highpost

Highpost

Feb 14, 2011
    ny. nyc
    +1 . I forgot about that issue. I think that's an international issue? Property rights are not practiced everywhere.

18. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    that really sucks. From looking at his profile. He is one of those guys who rarely has the courtesy to leave feedback for others on transactions even when they leave positive feedback for him. Seems like an upstanding guy...NOT!

I've only had a couple of deals go south on me. I've always been afraid to leave negative feedback. In case they retaliate and ruin my 100%. It's unfortunately not a perfect system but there is not really an easy solution.

19. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    There is not too much that can be done with products coming out of China. China has no laws against it. And most of the respected guitar builders out there battle it on a regular basis. Services like Ebay, Craigslist, Talkbass etc. Can delete the items if they are posted FS. But, there is really no legal recourse to the seller.

20. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Good thread....and we as a community should publicize those who try to wrong us