Possible Scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    "Hello, In regards to your advert,I'm willing to make an offer. Pls,I'll want you to tell me its present condition. What's your last price ? I'll be paying with a US POSTAL MODEY ORDER.I'll be handling the shipment, Kindly reply today.I live in Netherlands

I received this e-mail about my amp for sale and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any scams like this going around. Just to be safe.
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It may not be a scam, although AFAIK most people in the Netherlands speak English fairly well. However if they are paying you directly with a money order its probably okay. Why dont you email them back with a description of condition and price and then take if from their. You should be able to sniff out a scam before you post the amp!
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. The MO will be for like, $2-10K, and you're supposed to deposit it, and and send them the remainder (say, $1,500 of the $2000). Then the MO is fake, and you're stuck with a $1500 check that you wrote.
  4. I got almost the exact same email. It sounds like a scam to me.
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001

yeah, its all over bassgear.com also.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I got one from someone claiming to be a Rev. I told him I'd declared a jihad against religion.
  7. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How does the scam work? If someone sent me a money order and I banked it, surely you wouldnt write a cheque to them until the funds had cleared on the MO. And you can sure as hell bet there would be no shipping until that occured.

What kind of fool falls for a scam like that???
  8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got an email with the same exact same message. I paid no regard to it, as my amp was already gone. This is part of the reason I rarely ship overseas. You just can't be sure. of course, I'd ship to any honest TB'er if they were overseas ;)
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The check falls through/is fake, so it can take up to two weeks, or more, to clear, and you're supposed to write the check. They get the money, dissapear, and you have to give the bank back $9432.43 or whatever.
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If the cheque you give me hasnt cleared, you can bet your butt that I ain't going to be writing you any cheques. FOr starters, the bank should pick that up as possible cheque kiting. Besides, in Australia all cheques clear in 3 days....

If you fall for that scam, you deserve to be out! :D
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...including US Postal Money Orders?
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

This is ALL over bassgear.com. This guy's been active a lot on thatr place.
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I am not sure, but I would imagine so, a MO is much more akin to a bank cheque (I think you call them "cashier's cheque") which is much safer than a personal cheque and they clear in 3 days.

In any event - even if it took 4 weeks, thats how long the buyer would be waiting until I wrote them a cheque! :D
  14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Check Bassgear.com. There is a scam notice for this exact email, as well as a heads up about a few other jokers.
  15. lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.

16. scam, i've gotten that one 3 times before. I didn't want to ship my bass out of the country anyways but I told them that I would only accept Paypal just to see what they would say, they never emailed me back
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Is there anyone among us who actually has to wonder if this is a scam?

Come on now...

18. No, we would call it a cashier's check. We don't pander to the french here. Now shut up and eat your freedom fries!!:D

Rock on
  19. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    We don't pander to the Americans here. So i'll shut up and eat my chips! :D