Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible setup tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 23, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've always loved recording (Not really done to much of it though.) I don't have a band or any musical inclined friends so I don't need a huge mixing board and all the usual studio gear what i'm thinking about getting is that zoom mrs-4 and maybe that drum machine that goes with it and link that to a new 700 mhz ibook i'm thinking of getting.

So the plan is to use the zoom to record with the drum machine and then transfer it over to the mac to edit in a suitable program like cubase or cakewalk (Let me know if you know of a better one.) Is this a bad idea or will it work quite well? Will I need a di with the zoom seen as it's designed for guitar and all? Would I be better with drum software over the drum machine? What cables will I need to sync the Midi clock in the multitraker and drum machine? Anybody got a better idea for a setup for the same sort of money?

Let me know your thoughts.

2. the drum machine has its own cable to hook up to the recored. u be better off with the fostex mr8. with the zoom u have to take the smart media card out and put it in to a reader(wich u all so have to buy) to put the data on the compture. while the korg just sends it with a usb port. if u dont mind getting a reader so u can put the files on ur compture with the zoom,just get the palm studio sounds like it be better for u .

3. As far as the drum machine question....

I would just use drum/loop software instead of a stand-alone machine. I use Fruity Loops 3 and it does everything I need.

Not sure what the Zoom is but M-Audio makes nice soundcard/patchbay products. I recommend checking them out.

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I agree.
    Those cheap hardware drum machines sound like poop.

Also Check out Maudio, with that ibook you might want to get one of there new firewire interfaces. That would do you great.