1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

possible sheilding prob

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by darthplagis, May 14, 2006.

1. ok i just got some aluminium tape and sheilded the cavitys on my jag (as described in the amazing sheilding thread) but now when i pop a battery into the box the bass has a really loud hum(both active and passive with battery) and when i flick the active passive switch there is a really big thump.

im thinking maybe i missed an earth wire or wired the battery wrong because when i take the battery out it sounds great.

any advice would be great

thanks Gary

2. Did you ground the shield you need to have a ground wire that goes from the back of the pot to your shield otherwise the shield acts as a big antenna and mgnify the noises.

Since you used aluminum foil you likely won't be able to solder to it so what you can do is buying a lug at your hardware store (that's a kind of metal ring with a little hollow pipe connected to it in wich you can crimp a wire) so you solder one end of the wire to the back of the pot anf you screw the other end in your shielded control cavity making sure the metal ring is in contact with the shield

A lug:

http://www.conexmetals.com/copper_c..._aluminium_compression_lug_crimping_lug-3.htm

3. i knew i forgot something :crying: :smug:

thanks JustOpenYourMind i'll whip one in this week. to be honest i'm really liking the sounds i'm getting without the battery, it appears that the active setting WORKS without the battery in, i mean signal goes through the circuit but the boost doesnt actually boost yet the signal IS hotter on the active setting:p