1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible Steven Fryette prototype?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ashtray666, Sep 13, 2018.

1. I should’ve waited to start this thread till I got home as I do not have anymore than two photographs of this on my phone.

long story short, I bought a brand new acoustic b300hd head and after a gig that along with half my bands gear (75% mine) was stolen from my guitarists vehicle right outside the venue. We had shows lined up that whole week so I had to go in direct for a minute. At the time I used a bass with passive emg’s and active eq.

Well I got tired of that so I went searching with a $100 budget for a head. I ended up in either a pawn shop or sam ash music store. I saw this beast AFAC2BA6-C7F6-4F75-AFCC-A015C6C6F649.

(it’s taken apart in this photo) i’ll add more when I get home from work. Im just impatient and have to do this now. Little bit obsessed with this forum..

It’s old it’s dated 70’s I will aqquire the serial # too. But most importantly, it has a name on the back handwritten.

‘Steve Fryette’

Now honestly for an almost 50Lb dinosaur head for $100, I was sold. I tested it with my EV B-115 cab and it pushed a lot of sound. This thing was powerful.

you can see here on the main board it says Gallien Krueger.
    3E0261DC-CA2C-498B-BF8D-FB50C70C69F2.

Funny thing is, I sent an email over to the Fryette business. Their response was ‘That isn’t ours we have nothing to do with that’ something along the lines of that..

Im curious. Should I try to figure this out or just accept that someone wrote his name on the head to make it sell easier.

(again more photos will be up in a matter of hours)

2. Looks like a '70s GK 400B that's been messed with a bit, at least cosmetically. Fryette was a repair tech at the Valley Arts shop in LA in the late '70s, so it's entirely possible he owned/repaired/modded it back in the day. Still, wouldn't really be a VHT/Fryette product in the official sense, but a great old amp either way!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Ashtray666 likes this.
  3. @The Eristic

Interesting. So maybe this guy modified it perhaps. I was surprised at how good it sounded. In a couple hours i’ll upload more photos of the Outside. I just wish the fryette business was more into it.

4. image. you can see right there ‘cstm by steve fryette’