Possible Stolen Sadowsky - Need Help Finding the Owner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldCityBass, Jul 8, 2005.

1. The long version of this story will follow the picture if anyone’s interested.

Short version – This bass was bought in Nashville approximately 3 years ago. It is very possible that it is a stolen bass. The person who is now in possession of it would like to get it back to the rightful owner if it is in fact stolen. Does anyone here recognize this bass?

Long version – Jacksonville Florida - I was introduced to a young singer/songwriter from Memphis a few weeks ago and we have been writing songs. This past Sunday my guitarist, drummer and I went to this person’s rehearsal space to pick him up.

As soon as we walked in I immediately noticed this bass on the floor. I said – HOLY CRAP – who’s Sadowsky?! He said that he bought the bass in Nashville maybe 3 years ago for a price that’s more in line with a used Fender than a used Sadowsky. He had never heard of Sadowsky at that time. As we discussed the circumstances of how he bought the bass and the price he paid, it began to appear that this might be a stolen bass. I agreed to help and try to research this.

We do not know for a fact that this bass is or was stolen. But being musicians who treasure our gear and in the interest of good Karma, we are trying to find out. I can only imagine how I would feel if one of my basses were to be stolen. If you have any information about this bass, please let me know.

I called the Sadowsky shop this week and I hit a bit of a dead end there. The bass has not been reported as stolen to them and they really didn’t have any other information about it.

Obviously, the person who has possession of the bass right now will want some type of validation or documentation (such as a picture with the bass, knowledge of the s/n, a receipt or something of that nature) if someone comes forward to claim the bass.

As a side note, this is an awesome bass. It only had 4 strings and needed some love. I gave it a fresh set of strings, a quick set up, and fixed a scratchy pot. I’d never played one of these basses before but I quickly realized what all the hype is about. If this bass had been stolen from me I’d still be looking for it. Please help if you can. Thanks.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Can't be of any help finding the original owner, but I will say that I've never seen a sort of "see-through robin's egg blue" finish like that--I love it!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Perhaps posting a serial # would help?
  4. I agree - LOVE the color, especially with the maple neck.
  5. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I think this might be mistake since only the current owner and the "victim" would know the serial#
  6. The color is really beautiful in person. The picture does not do it justice.

I’m hesitant to do that in case that is the only way we can verify who the owner is.
  7. Exactly. :)
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Good thinking.

I'm one of those people who recognizes Sad's based on serial numbers, so that might help me, but no-one else.

I'm still itching for #3710 :)
  9. Well, if it remains unclaimed and your friend is looking for a buyer... :)
  10. I hear you! I really hope this thing isn't stolen but my gut tells me that it is. I would LOVE to own this bass but I couldn't enjoy it if I thought it was hot. :meh:
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Holy crap is right, that color is *amazing*. Thanks for the pic... and I hope you find the information you're looking for!
  12. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Call me a weirdo, but I've never really been a P or J person, but this Sad is stunning! It has "retro" written all over it, but in a very modern and upscale way. Absolutely gorgeous!

Any more pics, btw?
  13. Thanks, I hope we can too. BTW, the color is called Sonic Blue Transparent according to Sadowsky.

I snapped 3 pics - that one, the headstock and the s/n.
  14. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's possible that the original owner simply hocked it for way less than it was worth--got to the big city and ran out of money and all that--and nobody knew how to value it since then...

Might be worth checking with the Nashville PD, though, if you haven't already.

15. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I'd like to get a full image pic......you know......for some private time later.
  16. FINE! Now I have to clean coffee up from my keyboard! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

17. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    It's mine, send it to me right away :hyper:

Kidding of course. It looks awesome though.
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    That bass looks tasty. In fact, the fretboard looks as if it is made of white chocolate. Mmmmmm. I want to eat that bass. I can taste it now. Oh yes.
  19. So much for "valid documentation" if they give out the s/n.
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Hopefully some good kharma will come from all of this. Good luck in your search