Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible string replacement problem... String gives a "buzz"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bove027, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Hi,

I've replaced the strings on 5-string Cort bass yesterday, all went went, except the E-String... It vibrates at the bridge, wich gives a string "Buzz"-like sound... What could be the problem of this??

But, must important, how Can I fix it??? The string is'nt rotated...

Weird....

Hopy someone can help me out here....

Greetz,

Frank van Boven
    ---------------
    frank@kainam.nl

www.kainam.nl

2. I don't know if it is the same problem I had. When I replaced my strings, I changed brands, and I started getting a buzz on my A. Putting the originals back on solved the problem. The tech at the shop where I do much of my business said that it might be the strings, and that I could reset my action to accomodate the new strings.
    Later; skidog.

3. Not the answer I Hoped For... :D

I bought an offer... 12 Sets of 6-strings.... -> 180 Euro (equals 180 Dollar)....

4. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    At least two possibilities;

1). Most likely; Bridge saddle height adjustment screw is up off the "deck" of the bridge plate (the part flat against the body) One side or the other of the bridge saddle will be slightly held up by the "A" string or "B" string saddle. Cure; Turn each height adjustment screw clockwise (as to raise the saddle) just enought to make sure it's tight against the bridge deck. Both adjustment screws should be sticking out of the bottom of the saddle the same length and both should be touching the bridge deck.

2). Least likely, but possible; Loose winding on the string itself. Cure; Change string

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the last post, but it could also be the way you have wound the E around the peg.

If you don't have the string right down on the peg so it is pushing down on the nut it can cause buzz in various places as you have changed the setup effectively.

Well this may not be the best way of explaining it - but I know it happens from experience.

Re-wind the string around the post, so it stops at the bottom - easier to show, than explain in words!!

6. I've wound the string like you said...
    And the string is not twisted.

It's a real mystery!!!

I'll let my bass teacher take a look at it when het returns....

Anyway, Thanx to all!!!

Greetings

7. What about doing a full setup first?

It's very possible the relief is off, the saddles are too low, nut is cut incorrectly, etc etc etc.

I have low action on my P bass using TI Jazz Flats, and I get a clank with all but the lightest touch. I attribute this to the low tension of the TI strings. I could raise the action, but that sucks. I have a set of DA Chrome Flats with 40 more pounds of tension, so I'm going to try those first.