Possible stupid question: Is this a string problem or tuning peg problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ronin614, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    My apologies if this is a stupid question...I've only owned headless basses for years, and am only really familiar with doubleball strings.

I received a new jazz bass last night via UPS. When I attempted to bring the strings up to pitch (after letting the bass acclimate for about 7 hours) the G was so tight that it felt like either the tuner or the string was going to snap. Literally! When the string got to about Gb, the tuner wouldn't turn any further, and I wasn't going to push it.

Any ideas what would cause this? Is it a problem with the tuner, the strings or the set up? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks for indulging my stupidity.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Rule out user error first. Make sure you weren't trying to tune an octave too high.

five7 likes this.
  3. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    Or tuning up the wrong string. Edit: Like tuning the A string up to D.

4. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Possibly you're an octave too high, or someone installed a D string gauge as a G by accident.

5. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I wasn't an octave high (I double checked...twice) and was definitely tuning the G.

I'll check the string gauges when I get home.

Thanks for the responses.

6. Just for the record, there is no such thing as a "stupid question"; you actually did the smart thing by asking for help. No need to apologize. ;)

ronin614 likes this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A defective tuner could be difficult to turn, but it wouldn't make the string feel too tight before it got to pitch, so you can rule that out.

If you're sure you were tuning to the correct pitch the only possibility is that the string is much too thick.
    That should be easy to see, since it should be about the same thickness whether on a headless bass or a traditional one.

8. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Ok,
    I double checked and I'm in the right octave and all of the strings are the proper gauges.

I tried tuning up again, and I managed to get the pitch to G, and then right at that point the tuner got so tight that it wouldn't go any further at all. I realize that's the pitch that I was shooting for, and there is no need to go beyond that point, but is that normal? Shouldn't there be at least a little headroom?

9. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Strange. On any of my G strings I could tune them easily up ..probably an octave if not higher. Is the tuner mechanically sound?

10. I would take the string off and examine that tuner. It may be bent.