Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible to add bridge pup to my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Dec 15, 2003.

1. i've gotta Yamaha rbx-260 which is essentially a p-bass knock-off. is it possible / feasable to add a bridge pick up or add active pups to it? the end result would be to have a p/j configuration.
    thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, you can add a bridge pickup to your bass, will just require some routing for the pickup itself. Most places can get you a routing template for a J-bass pickup and you can slap it in, wiring diagrams can be found on the internet as well. Active pickups shouldn't be a problem, you'll just have to enlarge your electronics cavity to accomodate the 9V battery, or you can put a battery box on the back of your bass.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wattoosi,
    This is very feasible, and a P/J pickup combo is very popular. Also, you have a PM.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geez, any thread mentioning pickups...... i found it hard to believe these pickups are "PERFECT" for every tone that people need.:rolleyes: :meh:

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Though P/J is not my bag. The answer is yes, you can do this. Find a luthier in your area to do the routing. If you plan to go active, then you need to rout space for the preamp and/or battery (or batteries). It should cost in the $100 to $200 range to have the routing done.

I wouldn't do the routing yourself unless you are skilled at doing this and have the proper template. A poorly routed pickup hole will severly impact the resale value.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Figjam,
    Not the case at all. Pickups are a major component in tone-shaping and have a significant impact on what you get coming out of your amp or PA system. I don't think that any knowledgable TBer would even attempt to say that ONE pickup type is best for all situations, or that one brand is better than all other brands. Next to strings, I can't think of a component of the bass guitar that offers bassists more variety than the number of pickup choices we have to choose from. Unless you're secretely snooping into all of my PMs, I doubt you have any idea what I say in them...that's why they're private.
    But since you're interested...if someone is looking for pickups and asks me very detailed questions about the pickups I sell or provides me with a very detailed description about the tone they're looking for, I can accurately tell them if what I have will fit their needs. If it doesn't, I make other recommendations or tell them where they might be able to get the information they're looking for. If, however, in many instances, someone simply says "I need/want new pickups....what should I get", which is often the case, I recommend that they do some research on a brand or two and follow-up with me if they have more specific questions. I may say that I'm really impressed with brand X, but I rarely say "this might be great for your situation" It's as simple as that.
    I hope the tone of this reply is not an angry one, because I'm not mad about your post. I just think you should know where I'm coming from if you're going go make posts like the one above. The reason why we have the PM fuction here is so that we don't have to clog the forum with this type of stuff anyway, right? ;)

7. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    There's definately a Yamaha RBX that has a P/J set up already. Its probably called an RBX 26...5 or something, because its probably only one or two models higher than the axe you already have. Might be less fuss, and maybe even cheaper to trade up.