Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

possible to add capacitors?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacobm, Nov 20, 2002.

1. jacobm

jacobm

May 31, 2002
    my rig is a carvin r600 head with a sonic maximizer on top of it powering an ampeg bxt410hl4 cab, one thing i have noticed ,espicially on swr heads, is that when i turn them off it takes somtimes up to 40 secconds for them to fully power down, my rig turns off almost instantly, is this because they have alot more capacitors in them, it makes sense to me because the stored energy would have to get out some how. if this is so i was wondering if it could explain the problem im having with my head, i have to keep the input gain at -9 when i plug my musicman sterling into the active input to keep it from clipping in the input stage, the graphic isnt boosted shy high either i mainly use it to cut freqs. and the ones i boost arent boosted more than about 2dbs. with these input settings the power amp clips at low volumes, the master at about 2 and a half or so, and it gets worse when i turn it up to band volumes, the wheels in my head started to turn and i figured i could take it to a tech and get some bigger capacitors installed so the power section wouldnt have to work as hard. could somone wiht technical know how let me know if this is possible or if i would be better off buying a better rig. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

PS. i have played wiht the compression and it did get better but the problem is still there and is still a big problem

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    1. (turn-off time) It probably has nothing to do with the power supply capacitors. The Carvin might just open the circuit immediately when the switch is flipped. So the "turn-off time" doesn't really tell you much about an amp.

2. (clipping) Um, the short answer is, no, capacitors have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure why you can't get a decent volume with a Sterling plugged in to an R600. It could be a number of things. I'd suggest starting a new thread that states more clearly that you're having clipping / signal level problems.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The problem with getting a good level from your Sterling might lie with the sonic maximizer in your signal chain. I used to have a similar problem with an 18 volt Kubicki through an Aphex exciter. Somehow they reacted badly with each other and the level was off. If I put ANY effects pedal in-line, even in bypass mode, the level would then be fine.

Remove the sonic maximizer and see what happens.