Possible to add graphite rods to neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 7thbass, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Lets say you have a neck that plays great, but not rock solid.

Could someone who knows what they are doing take off the fingerboard and install graphite rods to make the neck more stable?

Another option might be the treker tension free neck conversion, which should stabilize the neck regardless of whether "tension free" means what they say it does.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive heard of people install rods to stablize or something.

im not fully sure of the details , so its just a thought
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Taking off the fretboard, routing for rods, and then putting the mess back together again is a good recipe for taking a neck that plays well and messing it up so the action sucks.

Keep the neck and get used to tweaking it until it settles in, or get a repacement neck, but that's way too much work for the land of lowered expectations.
  4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Couple of thoughts. What you describe would be pretty expensive from a good luthier who does the job correctly. Even so, the tone of your bass is likely to change. Maybe for the good, maybe not. You are exchanging wood for some other material after all.

If the bass is collectable, it would come back as playable, but probably devalued...

If we are talking a bolt on neck in a more of less Fender profile. You can call Tommy at USACG. He'll have you take exact dimensions and then will build you a replica, using modern techniques including graphite reinforcement for not a whole lot of money. You can also ship him your neck and he'll reproduce the profile if you're uncomfortable with getting the dimensions. Wood depending this might be under 3 bills...

I'm thinking seriously about having him create me a neck for a PBass I have but using the profile from my Reverend.

If this is about a neck where the truss rod appears to be maxed out, ther eis still some hope. You want a luthier for this unless you're both skilled and bold ...

Loosen the truss rod. If it's already maxed, count the turns it takes.

Clamp the neck to something solid abd bend it back in the appropriate direction. Clamp the neck in position. Put a heat lamp on the neck for a couple of hours. Allow the neck to settle overnight. Unclamp and check the neck and tighten the truss, count the turns. Repeat as necessary.

My luthier bought me around 3/16ths of truss travel on a neck I bought recently this way. That was enough to get me what I needed. I really like the neck profile so that was good news. My luthier charged me $40 for the job. I tipped him as I know he put a lot of thought and enrergy into it and he saved me from scraping a neck I paid $300 for ...

That was when I talked with Tommy about the custom neck profile. I think that's way cool personally
  5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Just get a replacement neck! Doing all that would not be worth the time or money and your neck may be crap after it's all said and done. ;)