1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible to add side handles?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by riker1384, Apr 29, 2009.

1. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I just bought a used Yorkville XM200. It weighs something like 60 pounds, but only has a strap handle. The newer Traynor version of the amp has side handles. If I'm happy with this amp and I keep it for a long time, is there some sort of side handle I can retrofit? Something that just screws in without having to cut holes out, since I have no woodworking skills. Has anyone ever done this with an amp?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm sure you could find something that would work at a hardware store.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  4. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I guess I'll take a look. I tried searching online and I couldn't find anything.

The main downside would probably be if I was trying to slide it on its side into the back seat of a car. It fits flat into my trunk, though.

I can carry it as is, but it would be easier with side handles if I ever have to carry it around on a regular basis.

Edited to add: Yes, that Ernie Ball is the sort of thing I was thinking of. It says it has an "internal cabinet mounting plate," so I'd have to remove the grille and speaker in order to install them.

5. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1 on the suggestion to try a local home improvement store. I'm sure they have plenty of handles.

Here's another suggestion in case you want something more "official". :)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=262-830

[​IMG]

6. spring loaded surface mount handles

You want something like this. If you get just something regular from a hardware store without springs they are going to vibrate and drive you nuts. These are spring loaded and surface mount. They also have a backplate so they don't pull out of the wood. Nice addition.

H

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

8. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Are there any that could be installed and removed at will? (As I mentioned above, protruding handles could get in the way somtimes.) If I get one that screws into the wood, it'll strip it. If I get one that has a mounting plate on the inside, will the mounting plate fall off inside the cabinet if I remove the handle?

9. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi riker1384.

Why would you want to remove cab handles after you've installed them?

For the price they sell for, just leave them on.

10. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm picturing sliding it into my backseat, and the handles tearing up the seat fabric. I'm just trying to think of the possible downside, since most handles are recessed. The amp fits in my trunk, but I was wondering just in case.

11. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    You could attach the handles with machine bolts screwed into T-nut anchors.

But removing and reattaching the handles would grow old fast.

You're better off putting your amp in the trunk (and placing the spare tire in the back seat).

12. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I can't think if I've ever seen detachable handles.

Might have to bite the bullet and cut a square out to use a recessed handle.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=262-821

[​IMG]

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you are worried about tearing up interiors, you need to slightly route any side handle around the cutout so the screw or bolt heads are below flush.

I've had better luck with these types of handles, used for racks, as they don't waste interior space the drivers use for better bass response, and the rubber/plastic around the grips tends to stick out far enough to roll when sliding a cab into the vehicle. They offer better mounting strngth compared to the surface mount version pictured earlier in the thread.

http://www.reliablehardware.com/Parts-SubCategory/Handles/Medium Recessed Handles.aspx

[​IMG]

14. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I concur with all that's said here, but I'll underscore using Reliable Hardware as a source. I am in no way connected with that company, but they do advertise on TB and help Paul, the owner, pay the bills, so it makes sense to me that we "shop at home" when it's possible and sensible to do that!

FWIW I have installed 5-screw surface mount spring loaded handles on a number of amps with 5/8 #8 pan head screws (5 per handle) and have had no problems with them. I have not challenged upholstery with them, however. I think the upholstery would lose.