1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible to buy an S-1 switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lustreking, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. I'm interested in adding a series/parallel switch to my Jazz bass, and I was wondering if Fender's S-1 switch is available for purchase anywhere.

    Unfortunately, I need a 3pdt switch because I have a master volume pot and a blend, rather than 2 volumes. It looks like the S-1 should fit the deal.

    I did a bit of searching online but didn't turn anything up.


  2. Lyle Caldwell

    Lyle Caldwell

    Sep 7, 2004
    Only through Ebay and the occasional FS post here. It's not for sale through Fender dealers.

    But yes, it will work great for your application.
  3. You could replace your volume pot with a pot/dpdt switch combination. I have one installed in a P-bass that I use for bypassing the tone control. I bought it from Jack Read several years ago but I think he used to get them from AllParts.

    Rick B.
  4. Lyle Caldwell

    Lyle Caldwell

    Sep 7, 2004
    But to do Series/Parallel with a Blend Bypass for Series mode, you have to have a 3PDT switch, which no one offers in a push/pull pot. Except Fender's S-1 (actually a 4PDT switch).

    Here's the schematic you need, btw:


    The .047uf cap is what I use - you can use .022uf if you prefer. The yellow rectangle there is a resistor I plan on putting in to keep the series volume the same as the parallel volume, but you can just use a straight wire in place of it (getting a little more ouput in series mode).
  5. Thanks! That schematic will definitely save a lot of time if I ever find one. I've looked on ebay before and there are a couple complete strat wiring harnesses with the S-1, but they seem to be going for $60-$70! Ouch.

    Thanks Again!
  6. Lyle Caldwell

    Lyle Caldwell

    Sep 7, 2004
    Sometimes they go for $40-50, if you get the Tele harness. Plus, the Tele knobs match the P-Bass knobs, which look good on the Jazz (hard to find the Jazz S-1 knobs on Ebay).
  7. Lyle,
    you should be recieving your shortly! ;)
  8. I assume it is also impossible to buy just the Jazz knobs for the S-1 through Fender. I initially didn’t know they used special knobs… I thought it was like a push-pull switch, but I’m guessing it’s a push-on, push-off type switch.

  9. Lyle Caldwell

    Lyle Caldwell

    Sep 7, 2004
    If you already own an S-1 equipped Jazz, Fender will sell you a replacement. But they don't sell the parts, and the Jazz Bass knobs are scarce on Ebay (though they appear once in a while).

    The top of the knob is a push push button, but the knob itself doesn't move.
  10. FunkSlap89


    Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    just out of curiosity, does your name 'lustreking' have anything to do with the band The Lustre Kings? My sister likes them and i just so happen to have one of their cd's on my computer...

    just wondering :ninja: