possible to install a truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I have a bass that i love dearly (my 5 string jazz) and the neck isnt reinforced with graphite or a good truss rod. I was wondering if it is possible to get a luthier to install a truss rod, like maybe one of the warmoth ones that they put in theyre necks. Or maybe a stew mac hot truss rod or reinforce it with graphite. Is it possible? (thanks for replying to my previous threads :))
  2. Doc, it might be possible. The problem is going to lie with the depth of the TR route and the amount of remaining wood material at the ends to allow fitting of a new rod. The Hotrods are double depth and that can be tricky.

How do you know your trussrod isn't a "good" one? Ever seen it? :D Seriously, if your neck keeps shifting, it's the result of the wood and not so much the TR. The best TR's only counteract the pull of the strings. They can do little if anything to calm a naturally moving neck if that's what that wood wants to do. The carbon fiber reinforcement will help with that and that is almost certainly possible to be accomplished as a retrofit. Get someone good though - this is NOT the domain of simple techs.
  3. thanks alot. So practicly, the best bet for me is to get it carbon fiber reinforced? I have a very very good guitar tech around my area who installed some pickups for me (and did a VERY good job) and i've seen his works with other peoples basses, and he is very good. So, ill see if he can do that...