1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible to replace nut (specifics)?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZoSoIV, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

Mar 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I want to replace the nut I have on my p-bass with one where the E string's groove is fraction of a centimeter closer towards the A string. As it is now, I feel the neck is almost too small on the E side, and I constantly accidentally push the string off the neck which is obviously a frustrating occurrence each and every time.
    I don't want to sand down the nut I have just to move the string over a little, as it would be loose in the nut and create buzzing.
    So like I said, is it possible to get a nut with the modified dimensions I seek?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Probably not as an over the counter item. You will probably have to DIY or let a repair person measure it and cut a new nut.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Is the E string too close to the edge of the fingerboard near the nut, or all along the E string? If the latter, it may be that the neck is out of alignment with the body or the bridge is not properly located.

4. membluz

membluz

Sep 3, 2001
    Winnipeg Canada

I'm sure you've taken into consideration the spacing between the four strings will no longer be equal. If this isn't a problem for you then fill in the existing E-groove with epoxy. When it bonds to the nut and hardens file it level with the top of the nut and use a small diameter round file to make a new groove wherever you want it to be.