Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible to straighten out a warped neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Aussiephoenix, Mar 20, 2005.

1. HI guys... I need you expertise on something...

I have recently purchased an old early 80's bass from ebay, and when I got it, it had an extremely high action, so I plugged it in, and it has a real SWEET sound, and a little 6 way tone selector that is just genious in a passive bass.
    This bass is neckthru and I really like it...

However, when lowering the action It started buzzing quite a bit and on closer inspection, this thing has been refretted but in a VERY ****ty way. they have slapped the frets on and most have never even been filed. (it was a home job for sure).

If that was the only problem I'd be happy, but the neck seems to have a bit of a belly from say the 3rd fret to the 6th and it dips a little from the 9th to the 11th on the right side. the left seems to be straighter.

Now, since I really like this bass's tonal range and apart from the warping, it does have a really nice and confortable neck,
    Im wondering, is it possible to get the neck straigtened out?

Would it be a really expensive thing to get a luthier to do? I mean the normal setup around here is about 30€.
    Is there something I can do to help it get straighter like hanging it by the neck or something? :bag:

Thanks for your help.

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hi,

Yes, it should be possible to straighten the neck out. Depending on how badly the dips and high spots in the neck are will depending on the time and expense to resolve the issue.

First, of course, is to adjust the truss rod as closely as possible to get the correct amount of relief in the neck.

Once that is done, if the dips and high spots in the fingerboard aren't that bad, you could probably just do a refret with high frets and then level them down and redress them. If the high and low spots are a bit bigger, you should be able to take out the frets and plane/sand the fingerboard back down to level, and then refret.

:^)~

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I found this thread while searching for info on warped necks.

My neck (A wenge neck and fretboard on a 98 Warwick Corvette 5) was recently replaned and refretted (pretty expensive, but not as expensive as buying a new bass), and I wondered, will it warp again? I'll describe it; if you look down the neck, viewing from the body; you see that the upper left corner (near the nut) is slightly elevated. This used to be much worse, resulting in buzzing etc, but it's pretty much solved.
    The thing that still strikes me, is that when I bought the bass (about 10 months ago) it wasn't warped! Seriously, I've played enough guitars and basses to know when a neck is busted and when not.

Anyway; couple of questions here:

Can anything be done to prevent warping? Next time I'll just buy a new friggin' bass.

Do strings affect warping? If I change from a light to a heavier gauge, could this effect the neck? And, for instance, since the left side (watched from below) is very slightly warped, could adding a B of a lower gauge than the other strings have a positive effect?

Cheers

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Want to see warp in a neck? Come to Houston- we have heat, humidity, and mosquitos the size of seagulls! What more could you want out of life? LOL...
    Seriously, I'd start with a professional refret, complete with planing the fretboard. Then see what it does. Worst case, replace the fretboard. My $.02 worth...