1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possible to switch Ampeg 410hlf drivers to 410He to make it 4 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taiken, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Taiken

Taiken

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm really starting to dislike the ports in my 410hlf, and I was wondering it'd be possible to switch the drivers (and maybe the horn, if needed?) with ones in a 410HE to make it 4 ohms, or is it not that simple?
    I have an SVT2 pro, and obviously I don't want to be running it at 8 ohms.

Thanks for the help in advance guys,

Dave

2. Drivers are made to perform in a certain type of enclosure. The drivers in your 410hlf were developed to operate in a ported box. They will likely not be very happy in a sealed enclosure.

3. Is it possible? Yes.

Will it sound good? No.

4. Taiken

Taiken

Jun 5, 2008
    I could've sworn I read somewhere that they surprisingly use the same drivers in the CL series cabs, just rated differently. I guess not. Thanks for the help guys

EDIT: The Ampeg 410hlf has the part number 86-510-04, and the 410he has the number 86-510-32. So I'm guessing they're the same, just with the ohmage reference for the last two digits.

If anyone could confirm this, I'd be very grateful!

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Wouldn't hurt to try. Not all drivers are SPECIFICALLY designed to work with an exact sq ft enclosure but usually within a range. If the interior dimensions aren't that different chances are it might sound ok. If you own both it might be worth a try.

I would ask on the Ampeg Facebook page if the interior dimensions are vastly different, if not, give it a shot.

6. Yes they are the same drivers ported cab to not

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No they aren't the same drivers. First off, the 410HLF IS a 4 ohm cab, not 8. Second, the drivers in the HLF cabs have a hollowed out back plate so the voice coil has more room to travel. This also helps it push more lows. Not to mention the wildly different impedances...the 410he and 810e use 32 ohm speakers, and I believe the 410HLF uses 4 ohm speakers wired series/parallel. Could be wrong about that, but I'm not wrong about the rest of the stuff.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to Jimmy's response. They are NOT the same drivers, and the HE cab is an 8 ohm cab. If you're unhappy with the HLF, sell it and buy a 4 ohm sealed cab.

9. Taiken

Taiken

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah, I didn't believe it myself when I read that the speakers were voiced the same. That's all I really wanted to know, and now I know they're voiced differently, I won't be doing it.

The search for a sealed 4 ohm 4x10 continues...