Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible to use ANY poweramp? HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, May 11, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello! I have an emergency! I have a friend selling me a Carver (yes, a carvER not carvIN) power amp, but I find that no one (online at least) seems to be reporting that they are using one for their bass rig. I only find audiophiles using it in their home theatres!

Would this work out fine? Or would I fry this thing? He says it's 100watts per channel and 280watts mono (not tube, though he says it has a very tube-like sound and is powerful relative to the given specs).

Help! Thanks...

-Transverz

2. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues.

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    Theoretically you can use any audio amplifier you wish to amplify your instrument. "a watt is a watt". However whether an amplifier designed for domestic hi-fi or home theatre etc can hold up to the abuses normally encountered by a proaudio component, well that would be iffy I think.
    the other thing to keep in mind is the gain structure of the system, ie: input levels etc etc. You don't want to overdrive the preamp section of the amplifier, or under drive it either.......

3. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're right...I should make sure this is better suited towards bass intrument use or should be detailing soundtracks and the sword clanging and explosions of a movie. Thanks for your advice :D

-T

4. Over the last 4 years, my bands have used a number of Carver PM 1.5 power amplifiers to run monitors or PA tops. The PM series are designed for pro audio applications. The things are awesome, powerful, light, reliable, and clean - sounding. A used Carver PM 1.5 gives you the lightweight power that you would expect from a QSC PLX, yet at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    transverz try it out first before you buy to see if the tone or hiss is tollerable. I am using a bryston 2b for my home rig and it sounds good, but the treble is louder than a dedicated bass amp, but I can turn the tweeter down.

also the manufacturer warned be NOT TO GO BELOW 8 OHMS, so I'm only running one speaker at home. I assume hi-fi amps might run way too hot for 4 ohms.

6. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks McRelly and bimplizkit (haha, great name),

yeah, Carver makes some good amps for home theatre, but yeah, unless it was a true bass amp, I would be really worried. So yeah, I'ma stick to more traditional methods...

Which makes me ask: What poweramps would you guys suggest for about $400 or so? I've been really tempted to go for a tube amp lately. I've been having my eye on those ADA Microtube amps. One rack unit, anywhere between 50-200 tube watts! Of course, the company isn't around anymore, but I've read some great things about them. Other than that, in the solid-state world, I'm a bit lost as to what brands would make good poweramps. I'm seeing most people go with QSC or Carver. I'm on a bit of a budget, and looking for something above 500watts per channel (or more bridged, of course) down to 2 ohms. Any ideas? :help:

Thanks! :D

-T

7. They're NOT tube amps. The ADA Microtube series is usually what people are talking about when they talk about manufacturers who used to seriously mislead people about their products in the late 80's/early 90's.

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    True, I did remember reading that they weren't TRULY tube amps but used tubes as "tube complements". I guess I just meant that I was tempted to find an amp that incorporated tubes in some way, shape, or form. Though you are right that a true "tube amp" would greatly magnify the cost and would probably sound worlds away from a SS or a "tube complemented" amp.

(still, I heard the Microtube amps were great sounding!)

Any suggestions on an affordable yet great sounding poweramp (tube or SS?). Feel free to include lesser known stuff found only on used/classified/eBay/Pawnshop channels...thanks!

-T