Possible trade i might be doing... give me your opinion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jul 29, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ok... I have a '71 100 watt Music Man head... it has guitar and bass inputs... and EQ knobs for each, and 4 inputs (high bass, low bass, high guitar, low guitar)
    It's all tube... It's cosmetically in bad condition... but that really shouldn't be taken into account...

Regardless, it works fine...

Anyway... My friend Chris (who plays guitar), needs a bigger head, and I told him about it... instantly he said "I'll trade my Ergodyne 400 for it"... He's aware that he's ripping himself off too...

I'll cut to the chase... I want a Bag End deep 1x15... Which is selling for $539 at a guitar store near me (guitarvilla)...

I'm thinking of considering trading the guitar head for the Ergodyne, then taking the Ergodyne 400 and my Peavey 115BXBW (which is in mint) and trading them for the Bag End... Does anyone think the trade value of the 115BXBW and Ergodyne 400 would be enough to cover the Bag End?

I don't wanna march in there asking about a trade and make a fool of myself... I'm aware that scratches and all are taken into account... But I doubt the bass is really scratched much, since he doesn't play anymore... And I KNOW it doesn't have any stickers on it or anything...
  2. Um...Ibanez don't make an Ergodyne 400, and I don't believe they ever have. They make the EDB500 and EDB600, the EDC700's and the EDA900's.

Dunno about prices..not sure how much a 115BXBW retails for, never heard of the ED400.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The EDB400 was the first Ergodyne in the market.
    The problem it has its the Pickups were positioned in a way that they dont allow the player to slap easily. (Your index will tap the neck pickup)
    Very narrow string spacing.

I have played it. Didnt like it.

C-Eye why dont you get your amp valuated?
    I mean get somebody that values vintage stuff and maybe sell it.. who knows?

Well, you can try the Ergodyne and see if you Like it.

Now lets think about the trade.
    The Peavey 115BX Black Widow is a really good cabinet, being a very close item to the TX, TXF and TXV cabinets. I dont know if the "upgrade" is worth it. BUt it is up to you.
  4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

The thing is... I don't want the head really... I have no use for it at all... It's just sitting in my basement, on the couch. I'm not into the "tube overdriven" sound at all...
    I've tried to sell it already... It doesn't seem that many people want old Music Man stuff.

I don't want the Ergodyne for playing, I want it for trading, if it's worth getting...

The Black Widow's a really good cab... It just gets too many highs, and doesn't seem to add any bottom to my sound... When I single my 410TXF out, it gets more lows and less highs then my 115BXBW... I've singled both out to check what's up with them... And it's not possible that there's anything wrong with my 115BXBW, it's been doing this since I got it.

The Bag End deep 1x15 I've already played through, and I love the bottom end it gets, and I think it'd compliment my rig quite well...

I'm just curious if anyone knows the value of everything being traded in the final trade (being ergodyne and 115BXBW for the bag end deep 1x15)

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Typical trade in value of gear in good cosmetic shape and working condition is about 30-35 percent of what you paid for it new. Figuring that typical used equipment sells for about 60-70 percent of it's new value and most stores will give you about half of what they are selling for. So I would guess they'll offer you about $100-$140 for the cabinet and about $200-$250 for the bass. If you are dealing with a locally-owned store and you have a decent relationship with the owner, (that is, you have spent a bunch of money there) you may do a little better. But I am pretty comfortable throwing out those numbers.

I would think this is certainly the case for you since you are looking to trade straight out and not throw in cash. You would be MUCH better off to post the Ergo and the Peavey cabinet here and/or at HC and sell them, then go buy the cabinet. Even selling on ebay is preferable to trading.

As a rule, you will get shafted when trading.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Words of wisdom.

Listen to Chas, CE.

You will not get enough in trade to pay for the Bag End, and you will wind up getting ripped off.

Those MM 100 watt heads go for around $250 - $600 here in DFW, depending on if they need new tubes, trannys, etc.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Mine doesn't need new tubes, the guy I guess who owned it before me replaced them every 3 months, and I've had it for only about a year, and I've played it maybe once every 2 months for maybe 15-20 minutes... which I don't think really put any wear on them. It looks like it's from '71 (it shows it's age, in other words), But sound wise... it's fine.

I'm aware that in any trading with a dealer, you're getting ripped, I know that in all actuality trading a bass and a cab for a cab is getting ripped off, although I'm curious as to if the trade would go with a dealer... It doesn't appear that it would?
    Should I just forget it?