Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible trade - Ken Lawrence 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Moo, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi, I have a Ken Lawrence fretted 5 that I absolutely love except for the size, and maybe the blueburst finish. It's a 35 inch scale with 19mm - 3/4 inch spacing at the bridge. Ken refretted it with jumbo wire and I changed the pickups to Bartolini dual coils with a Bart TBIBT preamp.

The neck is all maple, the body is swamp ash with some maple on the face, weight is on the light side, figuring is mild.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/alphonsopuppetshow/basses/Basses-FullFrontal.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/alphonsopuppetshow/basses/KenLawrence-body.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/alphonsopuppetshow/basses/KenLawrence-squidstock.jpg

I'm only interested in a trade or trade + cash. Hopefully some one from anywhere near San Francisco so we can spend some time playing before trading.

What I'd trade for has to be a fretted 5 string, 34" 24 fret. I may consider 33". I'd like it to be about 18mm bridge spacing and somewhat lightweight and not a jazz bass tonally. A Wal or pre Gibson Tobias Killer-B could be the right instrument. A 34" Ken Lawrence would also work especially if I kept my pickups. There's a 33" Fodera with Wal pickups out there that would be killer.

I'll probably be real picky so I'll apologize in advance for that, feel free to ask any questions or offer a few longshots. More pictures are available. I'm pretty skittish about trading as this bass meets many of my needs but I'm so much more comfortable on a smaller neck.

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    PM Sent. + I'll be in SF on Oct 1st.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The Lawrence is gone, thanks for all the offers. I took the one that offered me 2 basses. A Ken Smith BSR5P (34" x 18mm) and a Tobias Killer-B (34" x 17.5mm). I think the Tobias is a Gibson model but it doesn't suck and will likely become my main bass as it's very light and after a quick setup plays very nice.

I have mixed feelings on this deal, I gained much, lost a fabulous bass, but in the end I think I'm ahead.

Attached Files:

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I think you did pretty well for yourself. Both of those basses are pretty slick.

5. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    sell the ken smith?
    let me know if you are going to :hyper:

6. Nice Deal!!! I'd have been happy just getting the Ken Smith in trade :cool:

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've already got a possible offer on that and I may sell it. I'm really liking the Killer B and am already thinking about a black stain refinish or planing it and adding a fancy walnut top if I get more inspired.

But I could be talked out of the Smith.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    And you call yourself a Ken Lawrence Fanatic :rolleyes:

;)

The Lawrence was definitely the best bass in this trade, it just didn't fit me. Do you have one? He's currently into the 33" scale saying it improves the tone up the neck.

9. Haha - I didn't mean I'd ever sell mine of course :p

I just meant that it's a pretty fair trade between the two. In my eyes anyways.

I have a 5-string Unity style Ken Lawrence that I love to death :D

[​IMG]

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Very pretty, I miss mine :(

Now I know where your avatar comes from :)

11. jreid

jreid

Jun 25, 2003
    Lubbock, TX.
    i have the Ken Lawrence bass now and I'm wondering if you still have the original electronics? jreid@spc.cc.tx.us