Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible trouble w/preamp on Lakland Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sizz, Nov 3, 2003.

1. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hello all,

I'm not sure it this is the best forum for this, but here it goes... BTW I couldn't find anything relating to this topic when I searched the forums (please no flaming)

I've recently discovered that the preamp on my Lakland Skyline 55-01 does not make the classic "thwump" sound when switching from active to passive as it did before. I have tried a brand new battery and this did not do the trick. The active tone controls seem to be working find in active mode but it seems like the active output is about the same volume as the passive output. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Skylines or any other bass? I thought I would start here at TB before I e-mailed the man himself (Dan Lakin):) Thanks to all for your help.

2. I would suggest emailing Dan Lakin, he'll give you the best answer!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Who said that is a problem?
    I dont remember, but I believe the 55-01 has a gain trim pot inside the cavity to adjust the gain from the pickups in active mode.

4. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Thanks for the advice,

I don't think that the 55-01 has the trim pot like the 55-02 does, but I'll check once again as I'm not that familiar with the electronics. I'll definitely e-mail Dan L. either way...

Thanks again

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, Just wondering but I am also new at the bass and I dont know how to switch it from Passive to Active either.

BTW I do own a Skyline 55-01.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The volume control is a push/pull pot, when it's "down" the preamp is active, when it's "up" it is in passive mode.

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    AWESOME!!! Thanks a lot for answering that question!

8. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Gard,

You wouldn't happen to be a Rush fan, would you?