Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible Volume Pot Failure?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Origami Kamikaz, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    Hey all,

So last night the neck pickup on my SX Jazz Bass copy stopped working. I have a series/parallel switch which uses the neck volume pot to control volume in series mode, and I was playing in series mode when the sound suddenly began to taper off until there was only a low hissing noise. When I switched back to parallel mode, with the bridge and neck PUs going through separate volume controls, the bridge PU worked fine while the neck PU hardly gave out any sound at all, and again with the low hissing noise. This led me to believe that the neck volume pot has somehow, inexplicably, died on me.

Does anyone else agree with my explanation of this problem? I've already begun to look for volume pots, but don't really want to buy one before someone can confirm that volume pot failure would lead to a malfunction like mine (sound tapering off slowly until it dies out). Thanks!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

run alligator clips to the pot lugs and check it with a meter. If the needle moves like it's supposed to, the pots fine.

Wouldn't hurt to have pots laying around. At some point you may not have the time to burn. Pot's are reliable but anything with moving parts has more probability of defective manufacture and has numbered days regardless.