1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible wide string Spector 5's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Hi everyone - not creating this thread to cause a stampede of emails to Spector, or even admitting that this will ever come to fruition, but I have emailed PJ at Spector a few times over the last few years suggesting a Spector bass with 19mm bridge spacing could catch on. I dont think I'm alone but to each his own.
    He emailed me back this week and hinted they may consider this as a new line for 2010 under their Euro banner. I love their basses but can't get used to 17mm spacing so this to me is very exciting. I play 5 strings exclusively these days.
    What are peoples views?

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Wow this is so funny, I have been hammering away at them for the last 5 years about this. I have quite a few emails for PJ my self, just in the last few months about this.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would only be interested in this if they thin out the profile on their 5-string necks. They have a pretty thick neck profile and with 19mm spacing, I think it would be a pretty daunting piece of lumber to wrap your hands around. As they are, the 17mm spacing is pretty comfortable for me, even with the thicker neck shape. I have had no problems slapping or tapping on mine.

That said, if they do make the neck profile thinner, I think it's a great idea and would certainly pique the interest of a group of players that would probably never consider them the way they are currently built.

4. Yeah I tend to agree. I may email PJ and suggest the slightly shallower neck and in my opinion maybe a slightly rounder radius fretboard. I think the current radius would be 16 (I'm guessing!). A 12 or 14 would be perfect I think. I would also have the body be slightly wider, but would stick with the 35 inch scale
    Having said that I currently own a Warwick Streamer LX Broadneck and love the thing - not too different from what I am proposing for Spector but I would like the neck to be slightly thinner and have a slightly rounder radius neck. The Warwick string spacing is actually 20mm and I love it! For some reason I just cant ever get used to 17mm.
    I do understand this wouldn't be perfect for everyone but I think there would be a definite market for this bass on an ongoing base!
    Any more opinions?

5. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    Yes it is finally here in my hands the very first one made the new wide spaced Spector 5 in a beautiful blue with a sikk 5A quilt top I love it ! Pics coming soon !

6. Oh man show some pics!

7. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
  8. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Now if they would only make a 19mm 6 string!!!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I play fivers and I'm with you 100%. I think Spectors are nice, but I'd never own one because of the narrow spacing.

On an off-topic note, I feel the same about Music Man. I absolutely loved them when I was playing fours, but I can't get comfy on MM fivers... too cramped for me. :(

10. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    100_0856.

11. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    100_0855.