Possibles sources of income

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Alright, so heres the deal. I have a job, an average teenage job. Pay isn't amazing, but I enjoy my job atleast. A friend and I have decided to start saving for something we're really determined to buy. Problem is, this item costs several thousand dollars. While we can afford something decent with just devoting half our paychecks to savings every two weeks, it would still be nice to find other sources of revenue.

My friend and I used to be involved in the chainmaille industry until we got real jobs. Towards the end of our "career", we started to break even from all of expenses of wire, tools, etc. We're thinking this might be a good way to make money if we go out to craft fairs and sell jewelry like bracelets and necklaces, and possibly small pieces of armour and dicebags. We could probably move a good amount of inventory. Problem with this is we hardly ever have the time to weave anymore, and our stock is pretty low. I don't want to risk investing the money into the chainmaille business if we're putting it towards our goal.

My question to y'all concerns other types of businesses or ways we could make money towards our project. What all would you recommend to a 17 year old in high school whos determined to meet his goal. Keep in mind I already have a real job, and so does my friend. We'd also like to keep this legal. I know there probably aren't very many options out there, but I'm just looking for suggestions to atleast get an idea of where I stand. Thank you all so much.

P.S.- Our goal is to buy a Powered Parachute, but I just didn't want to out right say that, for fear I may be judged for my age on the matter. Thank you.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Since you have some experience, stay with the making necklaces, and bracelets theme. My sister makes lampwork beads and jewelry. I mocked her when she started, but she is the one laughing on the way to the bank. She sells her jewelry on eBay all the time, and makes good money doing it. She also goes to the craft fairs and pulls in $300-500 on a Saturday.

3. You could always do the ebay powerselling thing too.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Drugs, prostitution, pimping, running numbers, black market organ trade...

You get the idea.
  5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Teaching bass brings in some serious cash for me.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    If making money were easy... it wouldn't really matter because inflation would increase.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Usually, without risks there aren't benefits. Unless it's arbitrage, but things like those are hard to come by, they are so sought after :smug:
    I would first advise you to go to a fair and see how things sell: is the demand high enough to start your own business? If the manufacturers manage to sell much of their wares and are not complaining abaut their revenue (to find out, chat a bit with them, but DONT tell them that you are thinking about getting into the business, too ;) ), then you should try it. Maybe you have to invest into it now, but it will most probably bring more back than you invested, therefore you have to wait less till you have the money together.