Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possiblility of trouble...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I think I've got it down to just one more question before I pull the trigger on the head I'm buying. I've got it narrowed down to the Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600 and the Genz Benz GBE1200, with a Mesa Powerhouse 2x15'' and a 4x10''. The thing is, my guitarist is getting a Randall Warhead X2 (350W - YIKES!), and I'm wondering if the Mesa's going to be able to compete, given that speaker setup. Will it be able to anchor that much guitar volume? Or will I have to go with the 1000W that the Genz Benz puts out at 4 Ohms, as compared to the 625W the Mesa puts out?

As always, your help is appreciated, boyz.

Peace.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    350 watts of guitar? You're going to have to go to Plan C. A kilowatt ain't enough to compete with that rig. You need a pre-amp and a PLX 3402 bridged into 4 ohms. Sorry.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The Genz Benz GBE1200 has a switch that will allow you to run full power (1200 watts) at either four or two ohms.

I'll bet 1200 Genz Benz watts (some say the GBE600 - 625 watts at 2 ohms, can keep with with an Ampeg SVT-4PRO, 1200watts mono-bridged) will kill your guitar player. But then he'll go and by 350 more watts...

4. Take a marker- sharpies are great- black out the last zero in 350(watts). That clown'll be buried in bass & fighting back with 35 measley watts! :smug:

Anyway, this makes about as much sense as a 350 watt guitar amp. :bag:

5. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    A good set of earplugs are in order as well...

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I smell the need for a Mesa 400+ :bassist: (or another all tube 300 watter)

7. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    350 watt tube guitar head? I didn't know they made anything that ridiculous! Have you ever heard a marshall or mesa 100 watt guitar head and a half stack turned up at about 4? STUPID LOUD!!! The drummer can't even compete....and I play with a loud ass hitting drummer. Tell you guitar player to relax a bit!!! I play in a really loud band and a Mesa 400+ is just about right...trouble was finding a cabinet that could handle the watts without farting...ampeg 8x10 was really nice, but it's just so big!!! Finally settled on an Avatar 4x10...have yet to use it on a gig, but practice is cool.

8. Maybe you could be rich and buy the PJB tube head thats like 600 all tube watts?

9. Ampeg SVT-II, outputting into 2 seperate 5Kw (min) power amps, and each of them running as many 8x10 cabs as you can :p

10. Oh boy... and just when I thought I had it all figured out. Keep in mind, though, that my guitarist isn't ever going to use all 350 Watts; the main reason he's getting the head is for the tone; you can't get Dimebag's tone w/o the Warhead.

I tried out the M-Pulse 600 at 4 on the gain, and half on the master, and it nearly disembowled me. Gonna try the GBE1200 on Tuesday; I'll let you guys know how it went!

Peace.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hang on a second. First, is that guitar amp tube or SS? Second, forget statistics for a second.
    The Mesa 600 is LOUD, especially with a 410 + 215. I couldn't see any gigs apart from stadiums or huge (I mean huge) outdoor gigs that a rig like that couldn't do, in fact, it could almost do stadiums.
    I mean, watts can be a guide to go by, but two different amps rated at 300watt from two different manufacturers are going to be different in volume.
    Right now, i'm going against a 400 watt randall 412 cab with line 6 spider amp, and a 250 watt Fender Cyber twin 212 setup. The fact is, I can keep up with 400 watts (Used an SWR 4004, not neccesarilly a loud amp either) with it only at half volume playing LOUD, outside at a huge party with people been noisy everywhere. That was with 1x15" and 2x10"s.

Try going by ears, not eyes or stats.

12. I looked this up, its a trany amp (SS) , not tube/valve