Possibly a Carvin input problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KickingBass, Nov 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I have a strange issue going on with my Carvin BX500. A while back it was not working, I could barely hear my bass through it, it sounded very muffled and quiet. I opened it up and checked the connections and cleaned them. It seemed to have solved the problem. Lately though Ive noticed that sometimes I will have a similar issue to what I was having before but if I insert and remove my jacks from the amp and bass several times quickly, the problem resolves. Is this possibly the input jack or maybe the output jack of my bass? It only happens sometimes and after I fix it it doesn't do it for a good while. Are the jacks dirty? Any help is appreciated, I really like this amp and want to keep liking it. P.S. I know this is the amp forum though so I brought my bullet proof vest :bag:

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Very possible the jacks and the plugs on your cables are corroded. Get some proper "cleaner" like this and apply to your plug, run in and out, wipe off, reapply and repeat. Should keep the gremlins away much longer.

SirMjac28 and mbelue like this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If the amp has effects loop jacks they should be cleaned too. You can test for this by running a signal cable between the send and return to see if the problem goes away.

B-string likes this.
  4. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I have some spray cleaner, would I just spray that onto my cable and then plug it in and out like I had done before? Basically using the cable tip as an applicator to the input jack.

5. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

So you're saying that the effects loop jacks, even though I don't use them, could be causing the problem? I can clean them the way B-String is advising and then run a cable through them to see if it works?

6. B-string

Sure could, just make sure it is proper stuff. Things like WD-40 are not good for this use and "cleaners without the proper lube woun't break down the corrosion. I used to have a good product for this use called RidOX but it is now harder to get and now more expensive than the Caig product.

7. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Thanks for your advice guys I know you all are very knowledgable so Ill try this stuff out. I just hope it's not the ribbon connectors causing problems again. I get nervous opening stuff up even if I'm careful.

8. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I have some radioshack electronics cleaner, it seems to be the generic form of deoxit, it seemed to work when I cleaned the ribbon connectors so I'm guessing its good.

9. B-string

Especially if you don't use them. Clean the same way, but do a VERY QUICK shot of cleaner into the effects return jack (or if liquid a small drop). Let the amp "dry 15 to 30 minutes before plugging back in to power.

If it is the old Radio Shack and not the heavy moly grease stuff it will do, just not as well. Remember a little is good, a lot is death to electronics with any product.

10. B-string

Are there any dents in your "vest" yet? :D

11. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I don't have much experience with different cleaners so I don't know if its the bad cleaner... I try to use very little cleaner. Ill shoot a little into the jacks, plug and unplug my cables a few times and then let it sit. Is that the order to do things? sorry for the noob questions.

12. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Haha nah you're one of the good ones B :D

13. I have the same sort of problem with my warwick profet 3.3 ..... i have found that by running a patch cable from the effects send to the effects return it has eliminated the problem .... i know nothing about electronics so im guessing it must be a wiring fault between the pre amp and power amp sections of my amp....

try the patch cable thing as i did and see if it stops the problem

NorwegianJBass and KickingBass like this.
  14. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Oh I see, the problem might not be at the input jack it might be between the pre and power amps. Thanks for that observation, that could help.

15. B-string

The wrong stuff if you spray a little on some aluminum foil and you find it leaves a thick white grease, don't use it. You only need a fast shot into the effects return jack, not any of the others. The return jack has a contact inside that connects the preamp to the power amp when no cable is plugged in. There is not enough voltage and current there to "burn away" the micro corrosion (called fretting) that happens to dis-similar metals.

KickingBass likes this.
  16. B-string

That would be the internal contacts in the effects return jack.

nzscott and KickingBass like this.
  17. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Sometimes input Jacks aren't just 2 conductor TIP and SLEEVE jobbies. Sometimes stereo, TRS "shorting" Jacks are used. Input wiring dependant, this is done to keep the input quiet when not used. How many solder tabs on the jack?
    It's possible that all that re insertion has caused one of the two shorting tabs to be a bit wonky

18. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I'm not sure, if that was the case though would I need a new input jack?

19. jeffbassguy

jeffbassguy "Less is more, unless the guitarist sucks"

Feb 4, 2001
    connecticut
    when these first came out, i had to return two of them for this same type of issue and both times it was a defective ribbon cable..it was intermittent and i went through the same nonsense chasing the input jack. Send Carvin an email and they will work something out for you whether it is shipping you a new ribbon or having you send your amp out. It is light so shipping really isnt that bad for peace of mind that it wont fail you on a gig

rufus.K likes this.
  20. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Take picture or 6 if you can.
    Do what Jeff said and tell Carving to RMA you a stinking cable for the hell of it, before it dies.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021