1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possibly a daft question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ste_amnesiac, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ste_amnesiac

ste_amnesiac

Jul 18, 2012
    Hi, this is my first post. I've played bass for years but have only started to seriously play in the last 12 months. Anyway, I have an epi rumblekat which I recently re-strung and I've noticed that the D is completely dead. There's no sustain or top end it it buzzes (but not fret buzz) Is this just a dodgy string or is there something wrong with my bass?

Cheers

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Sounds like a bad string. Replace the D with a new one (or the entire set) and see if that solves the problem. if it doesn't, look at your setup next. If that doesn't give you any clues it possibly could be the nut (it could be broken or not cut correctly). But the first place I'd look is the string the take it from there.

3. You might have twisted the string putting it on, which would deaden it and can cause all sorts of weird overtone as well. Or it could just be a bad string. What kind of strings did you put on, just out of curiosity?

4. ste_amnesiac

ste_amnesiac

Jul 18, 2012
    Cheers for the replies. They were just cheap strings so I was hoping that was the problem rather than the actual bass being damaged.

5. How many windings are on the D's tuner post, and do they spiral down towards the wood?

If you don't have enough pressure on the nut, it'll sound dead and buzz.
    Try playing a note while pushing down on the D behind the nut.