Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

possibly a large waste of money...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jul 4, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i got a 15watt fender rumble series practice amp last year, somehow, at school, i blew it up. I sent it to fender, they sent me a new one and i guess the last one was a lemon cause i like this one; except that the cone sucks. it's a paper piece of crap that "farts" as soon as i put the volume past 9 oclock.

Would it be worth it to change out the speaker cone for an aluminum one like in my hartke? or should i just keep it at a low volume?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's only a 15 watt amp with a speaker that's not supposed to handle a lot of power. If you're causing the speaker to distort you're driving too hard. You need something bigger

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    but it's just my fingers and my relatively low output bass...and i have a pretty light touch

4. hwo do you EQ, on small amps you should roll off the bass, if you don't or boost, it'll start clipping/distorting quickly

bass takes a lot of power, if you cut the bass, you can boost the volume

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah that's what i've been doing...alrighty thanks i'll just keep it down.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fifteen watts? If you can hear it, you're probably overdriving it. A 100-watt head is a bare minimum. Three hundred is better, 500 is adequate, and 800 is optimal.

7. 15 watts is plenty of power. As long as everyone else in the band is playing with headphones, you should have no trouble hearing yourself. If their headphones are drowning out your amp so you can't hear yourself, their headphones are simply turned up way too loud. :D

Randy

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just for the record, paper cones usually hold up better than aluminum ones. If you want to change to aluminum, do it for the unique sound aluminum will get, not because you have a bad amp.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two evil people in one thread.

10. I would be honored to be included in the same evil league as the Great and Powerful Munjibunga! :D I thought I'd been struggling in Cat 4.

Randy

11. Its probably not the speaker cone, its probably the power amp (can it even be called a power amp at 15 watts ? :p ) clipping

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dude.... c'mon... You might as well just play unplugged inside a big cave. I'm sure the slap tone will be much fatter sounding.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Is this a serious question? You really have issues with a 15 watt practice amp not sounding good when you crank it up?

-Mike

14. +1

15. hahahahahaha excellent!!!!

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Throw it out the window and move on.

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My clock radio has more than 15 watts . . . c'mon. That thing is designed to sound like crap.

Swapping components in it is like opening a fresh can of corn, then inserting the kernels into poop piece by piece before you flush it down the toilet . . . .

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i think i got it. i didn't wanna go any bigger cause i'm still in school in nyc and my dorm room is roughly the size of the back of an expidition, i mostly play through headphones but every now and then i'll jam with someone down the hall.
    300? i'm doing fine with 120 with a full five piece AND doing out door shows.

19. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Most of those dinky amps have a headphone jack, why don't you use that? They'll probably be much more efficient than the cone you've got to work with.

20. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    that's what i do, but occassionally i jam with ppl around my hall...shrug.