1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Possibly a stupid question? Getting rid of the popping sound from hitting the pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JBass1, Feb 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Hi all,

Dumb question maybe but I just need to get it sorted out. I tried to do a search but this didn't come up (some other solutions were mentioned).

So I have a stock MIM P bass, and for some of my more aggressive bass lines, there is a loud popping noise from the string hitting the metal piece of the pickup. I want to switch out the pickups, but I'm wondering if this can even be fixed that way?

So if I got a new set up pickups that don't have that metal piece showing would it fix the problem? Or if I got some with the metal pieces slightly recessed, kind of like in this picture: DiMarzio Model P DP122 Replacement Pickup for Fender P Bass

Open to suggestions and insights!

I was interested in these: Bass Pickups but I don't want the same issue...

Cheers

2. bridgecables

bridgecables

Jan 11, 2016
    If it's not from technique, you could lower the pickups, which may be rather close to the strings if this is happening. You can also put a piece of electric tape over the exposed pole pieces.

Will_White and bassbully like this.
  3. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Ok thanks - I did see that suggestion elsewhere but I was worried about decreased output from that. Someone said it didn't remove the pop either, just lessened it.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    This is pretty common with exposed poles...happens on my ESP, and my others that have had the metal poles. Just nature of the beast, for the most part. +1 for the electrical tape advice, as the bare metal can be sensitive to ground interaction with your touch.

5. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    A piece of clear tape on the pickup will work, as will a drop of clear lacquer on each polepiece. Neither is permant, but both work.

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i didn't find that tape worked. switching to a single-pickup bass where the pickup is not where you hit the string worked for me, but it means testing each bass in person. if you don't love the pickup, you can always switch it with another one. there are some out there with phat tone.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you can get the bobbin out of the cover (not possible on some P pickups) you can put a thin piece of foam between the cover and the top of the bobbin so that the magnets will end up recessed but not farther away from the strings.

bassie12 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021