Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possibly buying an SX to mod, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So in the next 6 months im probably going to buy an SX (maybe Brice?) to mod completely. I dont really know what would be the best bass to mod. First instinct was just a black p bass, and then get a black pickguard, black knobs, Bad@$$ II bridge (maybe?) new pups, and stuff, but i dont know, seems kinda "duh" so ive been considering looking into other things as well. I think i know whaat kinda questions people might ask, so basicaly im looking for a funky ish sound, can be good for slapping, doesnt matter tho bc i have a bass thats good for that but it wouldnt hurt, basically i just want an easy to play, even toned, thing.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey - Tyler Hole here!

Get one of the Brice Douglas J4s and put some DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups (I think DiMarzio makes em, I don't really know) or some Fender Custom Shop 60s in it. Throw a Badass II on there and wham bam, thats a pretty nice bass goin on. Might wanna throw on some new tuning machines, if the ones on it aren't that great. The all black thing sounds pretty sweet too and the Badass II comes in black. Maybe some black tuning machines if you can find some good ones? Good luck with this man.

Peace.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the black thing might be awesome to do with a p bass, yea, black baddass, if i can find some black tuners that fit that dont cost 100 bucks id do them too. The brice douglas ive always liked too, just not sure if id dig a jazz bass, had one once and wasnt too fond of it, but are the brice one's necks wider than a Fender?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And another thing, the Douglas's are mad of Swamp Ash, so why are they so heavy?

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I missed the whole pbass thing...if you do a pbass get a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder and drop it in there. I have seen a bunch of people do that and it sounded good. Jazz basses sound better funk wise IMO, and your looking for a "funkish" sound, so maybe go a jazz route? I dunno, I don't know as much as others around here so maybe some decent input would be of service ;)

Peace, again

- tyler

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Maybe the maple neck/fb? I dunno, honestly.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Your opinion is always heavy in my book Ty :p
    The funk tone i go for isnt as much a Chili Peppers tone, its more of a ... Jamiroquai tone. Not as middy and growly, more smooth and bouncy. Between my Godin and my Spector ive kinda got the growl covered, especially the Spector, but my fretless p bass doesnt have an especially funky tone, since it is fretless afterall.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm not sure exactly what pickups for a pbass would give you a good funky tone, maybe search the pickups forum or post in there about it?

-Tyler