Possibly buying and then re-tuning a 1974 Wurlitzer upright piano.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scatman, Jul 26, 2013.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    ......If anyone in the NYC area can let me know how much it will be to retune a '74 Wurlitzer piano, it would be much appreciated.

I am considering buying it from the family of a former neighbor (neighbor's now in a nursing home!). The price to buy it is really not much, "at least over $100". Keys are very flat, expecially the bass keys! Still loud, though!

I'm considering whether to buy it, or go get a new keyboard. I have the weekend to decide!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Depends on how out of tune it is. If it's too far out, the tuner will probably have to make a couple of trips, or will counsel you on whether the piano is worth keeping.

Here in Madison, an old upright piano is typically free, if you can get rid of it at all. There must be one out there that's in playable condition.

3. Does it sound good TO YOU?

If it's really flat it'll take several tunings to get to concert pitch... assuming the pins don't slip. How many notes are wildly out of tune to the rest of the strings?

Under a semitone flat is fine.
    More than a tone & a half flat I wouldn't even try to bring it up.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081103110610AAoijL3

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021