1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possibly damaged speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mulder7, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Tags:
  1. Mulder7

Mulder7

May 4, 2017
    Just bought an SWR Super Readhead 2x10 combo amp. It sounds decent, but I notice when I crank the amp, the left speaker farts. At normal volume it sounds fine. I opened up the grill cover and looked at the speaker and there seem to be some surface tears, but they don't go through. When I push in the speaker I hear more noise than the right, which is completely quiet. Is the speaker blown?

2. Mulder7

Mulder7

May 4, 2017
    Here's a picture

Attached Files:

3. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    Oh yeah, that speaker is trashed, the voice coil is not supposed to rub if you carefully push it in. I would look at a recone.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  4. Serious damage from overpowering. I would be worried about the other speaker too.

5. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    There are different stages of "Blown". I would say that the farting one is in the early stages of "being blown". I would look into having them both reconed or replaced.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Speaker is ruined. Your choices are recone (but there are no OEM recone kits available) or replacement (probably a more practical solution). If one failed this way, the other is certainly damaged as well.

Replacement will involve choosing a driver that works in your enclosure, post the internal dimensions as well as the porting info and we should be able to find something suitable.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Would you post a photo of the other driver. I agree, for what it’s worth, that the second driver is also trashed. One of the biggest problems that arise from buying gear from a defunct manufacturer is the lack of suitable replacement parts.

8. Mulder7

Mulder7

May 4, 2017
    I'm not at home now, but the other speaker shows no sign of damage. Yeah I feel pretty stupid for getting it. I didn't have an oppurtunity to play it loud when I met the guy.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

If the amp and cab are good, then not necessarily a stupid buy. Just replace the drivers with suitable replacements and rock out, just don't blow the replacements.

10. With respect to you, it may have been in good condition when you bought it and when you wanted to see what your new toy can do you over extended the speaker cone. These were not made for very deep bass, if that was what you are going for this will be the result.

Sorry your new toy did not last long. :(

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    From what I can find, the internal volume is 2.45 cu ft, which is approx 69 liters. That's pretty big for a 210, the only thing we don't know yet is the tuning, but since it's an SWR I expect it to be somewhere between 42-48hz.
    SWR Super Redhead Combo Amplifier
    I expect the Eminence Basslite S2010 to perform pretty well in that enclosure, it comes 25 watts short but I don't think that's a problem, mechanically it can handle more then the original P.A.S. drivers. Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

agedhorse likes this.
  12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    New speaker time
    If you can’t find SWR’s—- I’ve used eden’s in the sane amp with good results.

I’ve heard that newer swr’s can be stamped frame and though I’ve only seen cast frame versions.

13. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Bassmec likes this.
  14. Yup fired, but not completely immediately stop cranking it because the other speaker is taking the hit, and you don't want to kill that one as well.

15. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yup but that leaves the amp with enough room for another 8Ohms in parallel, IE another two by ten cab which will provide further
    Inherant Redundancy (see idiot proofing) to the system.
    He seems to need more than he's got available.:)X

Arjank likes this.
  16. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Thought about that too, but if the OP wants to run the Redhead as a standalone I would recommend to get 8ohm drivers.
    And, according to the specs the Redhead amp should be able to handle 2ohms :)

Power Output:
    • 350 Watts @ 4 Ohms
    • 400 Watts @ 2.67 Ohms (with 8 ohm extension speaker)
    • 450 Watts @ 2 Ohms (with 4 ohm extension speaker, US and Canada Only)

Bassmec likes this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Yeah, it can handle 2Ω but that is really pushing/stressing the amp. It gets really hot a 4Ω.

agedhorse and Arjank like this.
  18. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yup! however with twice the speaker coupling it will still be louder than stand alone and I bet it won't thermal out at 4Ohms total, smashing the heavy bit on the second to last number in the set.:)X
    2 ohms is only for people with spare headroom.:)X

Arjank likes this.
  19. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I don't have any experience with the amp but the lower the impedance the more current it draws from the amp and the hotter it runs.... So yeah, if the OP wants to add a 2nd cab he may want to install 16ohm drivers to keep the amp from running to hot.