1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

possibly dumb questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moonfire, Apr 13, 2010.

1. moonfire

moonfire

Mar 25, 2010
    Hello,

I was curious....how would these pickup arrangements sound?

J-P that is, a Precision pup at the bridge and a Jazz pup in the middle position. I've never seen a bass with this setup, so I'm assuming it's not a good idea?

P-P Precision at the bridge and middle. I've seen a lot of old BC Rich basses with this setup.

opinions?

Thanks!

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    a PJ is a precision bass with a split coil in the neck position and a single coil in the bridge. PP is the same, except theres a split coil in the bridge position.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I think he's wondering what would happen if a P/J were a J/P, flipping the pickups. I have no idea how it would would sound, but never seeing a bass set up that way, I assume it's not too promising. Somebody had to try in R&D over the years.

4. moonfire

moonfire

Mar 25, 2010
    yeah, I was just wondering about the tonal aspects of these two pickups configurations. I'm really curious about the double-P setup. for some reason, I think two P-Bass pickups would sound thunderous and grindy :confused:

5. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    They could, depending on a myriad of other factors.

6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Fender did it on the Elite basses. It was not very popular for whatever reasons. I think they are ugly but that's just me.
    Rocky

7. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    So, I'm not the only one wondering about that!
    :D

8. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I think that a lot of that has to do with wanting the P sound at the neck like a standard P. The J can add some sweetness.

Setting up a J/P instead of a P/J seems like a waste of a good P pickup.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    It work fine, P bridge and J neck so long as the bridge pups treble side wasnt overly close to the bridge. A problem with some of the BC Rich PP basses is haveing the bridge treble side rather then the bass side closer to the bridge. Having them with treble side closer to the bridge for neck to mid pup position can work fine to me though. P bridge as long as its not real bright one would give a fuller bridge pup sound then a Jazz pup bridge postion has to my ears.

10. I'm at college, and i usually have a jazz bass with me, because i only have room for a bass and a guitar in my dorm room, so usually when i want a p bass sound, but don't have access to a p bass, i can get a fairly convincing one (to my ears, at least) by turning off the bridge pickup, and rolling off the volume about half way, so it seems to me, at least for the P/P configuration, that if you take a jazz bass, and dial in a p bass sound using only the neck pickup and the tone knob, but then turn the bridge pickup back on, you could get a very very very general idea.

at least that's what i would do if i dind't have access to that kind of configuration and didn't really feel like routing a bass to figure it out, but i'm just completely guessing here and taking a shot in the dark.