Possibly Getting a New Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jul 22, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've thrown around the idea of selling my SVT3-Pro for a while now. I like the tones I get from it, but I feel like I could get something with more power and features for nearly the same price.

I like a big, huge midrange tone. I have the mids on my bass, as well as the mid knob (mid selector set at 1 or 2) maxed, and a big bump in the low mids on the graphic, as well as a bump in the treble. I get a nice definition, with a big in your face punch.

I'd like to know what your suggestions are for heads in this price range. I'll say $1000 US, preferably new, or used if not from evilBay. I'm playing through an Avatar B212 at 4 ohms if this helps matters. I'm playing mostly things between heavy metal, jazz, and Primus.

Thanks in advance TB!
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I have 3 suggestions for you and they are all failry good amps with both their pros and cons.

1) Kustom groove bass 630$ 1200 watts @ 2 ohms cool lights comes with speakon cable and footswitch. Really good amp for the money.
    2)GK 1001-II RBI, Very versitle from what I've read, also has loads of power light weight (11lbs) 700watts @ 4 ohms 460 watts @8 goes for 750$ but you can find em new for 650$.
    3)Peavey Max 700 (aka firebass) 700 watts @ 2 ohms goes for aound 550$ new can be found for 300$ used. It's peavey wont break downside is it weighs alot for a head.

I've done research over all 3 of the heads I've listed and decided to go with the kustom for the amount of watts to doller ratio and from what all the guys have said about it here on TB.

If I had to I would go with a kustom, then the GK, then the peavey, but thats me.

3. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Check out Aguilar AG500. Thunderfunks are sweet too.

If you can afford mesa, definantly the M-Pulse 600.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Used, look for a Mesa 400+, Ampeg SVT (preferrably origional or II, but CL or 2 Pro would work too), Trace V6/V8, Eden VT-300, Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman Pro 300, or new check out a Traynor YBA-200. If you want something very versitle, check out the Kustom Groovebass, a Yorkville, an Eden WT-whatever you want, or if you can find a good pre for cheap you might want a rack setup.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You could pick up an Ampeg SVP Pro or SVP CL preamp and a QSC RMX 850 (or RMX 1450) and have money left over to pick up a 4-space rack case and rack mount tuner if you bought used. All of those items turn up on TB classifieds periodically.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think riksmusic.com has the GK for $600.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    EA iAMP800. Problem solved for good.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Too bad. You just described the Aguilar DB 750. More than $1K.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    So true. As I read his description, I also thought of the DB750, until I got to the price limit. Poor guy.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I was about to chime in, but it looks like me work has been done for me! Many good recommendations, above. The Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 might also fit your bill. Are you looking for an all-tube head, ss, hybrid, or any of the above?

11. ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    PM me I'll let you know where you can get a Kustom GB1200 for 469.99 shipped. I love mine!
  12. Another buddump for the AG-500. That thing is a sub-1000 midrange king
  13. I'll agree, Mesa 400, 400+ or Ampeg SVT II / older SVT

and, the peavey firebass head really isnt heavy (whoever said it) . . .

14. I concur.
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You might consider bbe b-max, and a qsc-plx 1602...and:
    Thunderfunks are awesome...
  16. Always better to post in an existing thread than to start your own :D, especially if it is a 'what XXXXX should i buy' So i am hijacking this one :p

I recently picked up a used Trace 1518T and i am now on the lookout for a head (btw i am in Australia). I like a heap of bottom end but love punch as well, highs and mids you ask? meh don't need em :p Looking for something around the right wattage for the trace cab (i will be adding another cab when another good one turns up) so 200-300 at 8ohms.

price range is $800 new or about $500 2nd hand (i can get finance on new heads :p cause i can't save money to well, save my life).

Thanks All.
  17. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Me think the same thing :)
  18. The Peavey Firebass isnt that heavy, but its very hard to carry since one side of it seems to account for 90% of the weight. 55lbs is heavy for a solid state head.