Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

possibly OT? transcribing music for jazz band..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 18, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm considering taking on the task of writing out an entire score for my jazz band to play.. 'The Real Folk Blues' from the Anime Cowboy Bebop. It's a really kickin' tune if you've never heard it before - it would go over really well at a concert; kids would know it as CB was recently featured on Toonami on Cartoon Network, it's got a solid rock feel, etc. I've looked, this song isn't available on JWPepper or the other sheet music sites.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions for me? I've done a lot of 4 part writing before, but I've never had to worry about transposing to different keys, writing for drums, etc. Any tips or pointers?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This should be in General Instruction for sure. If you'd post what instruments you have in your band, I'm sure I or someone else would be happy to help you with the transpositions. Likewise, if you can post the changes to the tune in question, I bet you'd get some help with the voicings, etc.

Good luck.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and we're off to general instruction, hold on kids...

wwwhhheeeee!!!

4. Instrument transpositions are fairly simple once you know the interval you need to adjust the parts by. Like Chris said, tell us the instruments you have. Many notation programs can make the transposition automatically. Just make sure whatever note you give a particular instrument ends up still in its functional range.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    If you use a notation program like Finale or Sibelieus, transposing is a piece of cake.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am reminded of the Cream Live concert film, where there is like a "BBC" interviewer who spends a long time with Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce asking them about their gear, how they get their tone, improvising etc.

Then he comes to Ginger Baker (looking slightly "worse for wear" ;) ) - well Ginger how do you get your sound ?

"Err...I just hit it!"

End of interview!! :D

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    To write for drums you have to hear for drums which means you have to know how each element of the kit affects the feel and pulse of your piece. It's best to find the drum pattern you want from a recording and transcribe it, not all that difficult, you take each piece of the kit at a time. Do the high hat, the snare, the kick, the ride, and whatever else. "The New Real Book" has drum parts notated in the back, with notation software or a sequencer you can plug it in and see what it sounds and feels like and go from there.

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks all!

I'll be using Finale.

That's pretty much what I was planning on doing.. I know a bit about writing for drums (used to use Cakewalk right around the time they added a real drum 'clef' to the program) as well as doing simple arrangements in the past.

I've talked to my father about this project (PhD in music theory & education, band director, etc) since posting this, so I think I've got everything down I was confused with. I've got a very good ear for picking out individual parts, and I've written a lot of music/instrumentation, so I think I've got everything covered. Thanks again!

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    oh.. as far as instruments.. typical jazz band stuff.. trumpets, bones, alto/tenor/bari sax, etc etc (former trombonist)