1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possibly ridiculous comparison - Ampeg SVT450 vs Acoustic 370

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-Forty, Mar 11, 2009.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Ok so I've dreamed of having the 370 for a few years, but being in Ottawa Canada not very many become available

A few of you may remember me asking "SVT450 vs V4BH?"....that deal never went down.

The guy is asking $350, which I am not able to do right now, so I have inquired about trading my SVT450 for the 370. Not a fair deal for me monetarily, I know...but whatever.

The last 370 I played was ridiculously loud and I have been finding the 450 slightly underpowered at band practice and that is only with one guitarist.

Comparisons?

2. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    It's that ridiculous eh?

3. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    The only thing that would make it a bad idea would be the monetary angle, which you don't seem concerned about. One thing to keep in mind is that any 370 is a pretty old amp now, and although they are built like bricks if you decide to get one, particularly as your only amp, you should be prepared for the prospect of age-related maintenance.

I have a 370 and I love it. So part of me wants to say, "Of course, get the 370!" But I wouldn't want you (or anybody else) to get one and be disappointed, particularly if there are issues that are not the amp's fault.

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    +1

I can't help much because I haven't played through an SVT450, but I can add that I play with two guitarists running cranked FULLstacks and I never have an issue being heard clearly with my 370.

5. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Had a 370 many years ago they are good and reliable if they have had all the lytic caps changed fairly recently because electrolytic caps tend to age worse than meth addicts after about twenty years.
    Not a big problem though, all the electronic parts can still be got quite easily and cheaply.:bassist:

6. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    the 450 at 4 ohms eq'ed properly should have no prob hanging with a cranked 100 watt stack...make sure your eq is rite...try turning your master all the way up and controlling ur over all volume with the gain knob...get the bass and treble up to at least 2 o' clock and see what your working with...im sparing with my mid's but i usually set em about 10 or 11 o'clock depending on the bass...and this is all with my svt-350 AV so im going to bat with 100 less watts...technically...basically...a ton of the output is in your eq section!

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    See, I think that is my problem. I am running at 8ohms (Ampeg 410he) . I need another cab! Maybe a 15? Man I feel like a choad for starting this thread now!

I wish I had something to trade for another cab. I'm not sure if it would sound alright with another non-ampeg cab though...I am weary of mis matching...

8. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    yeah ampeg works best with ampeg...you can find the 1x15 cabs for 2-300 bucks...look around...your bound to find one...or another 4x10...thats the sound your looking for!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Comparing Ampeg's worst head to the solid state standard? Well I've never done a side by side with them, but I don't know anyone who would rather have a 450 over a 370.

10. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Very constructive

11. Not familiar with the Ampeg you are considering.

Just another point of view from a guy who grew up with the 370's. I've been able to play a few of them somewhat recently as they past through Low Down Sound.

IMO, our memories of those heads are quite a bit better than the reality of the tone. In the context of the times, they were amazing. However, I believe they put out about 275 watts into 4ohms, and not a particularly clean 275 watts at that. Most low end micro amps will totally blow them out of the water at this point. When you combine the ridiculous size and weight given the output, I myself wouldn't bother. I will admit they are 'louder than the watts would suggest', just like the GK400/800rb. However, IME, this is primarily due to the very limited low end output (which is what really sucks up the watts), and the rather 'dirty' upper bass/low mid voicing that sounds very loud to the ear (mid voicing plus a bit of distortion can really sound loud!).

Of course, if you are digging them due to the retro vibe, etc., that's a different thing. To get them for any sort of performance or 'sound' reason seems a bit strange to me at this point. A big old tube amp... I get that. An early, out of date, big, heavy, low powered solid state head... not so much.

Again, just another perspective from one who could care less about 'vintage' and more about cold hard specs, tone, volume and form factor:smug::bag:

12. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Good info!

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a 370 that hasn't been used for years but was gigged with for a long time.
    In it's day it was very good for a SS amp.
    I do remember that it wasn't all that powerful and not particularly transparent; not that it didn't have high end; just not that clear without being strident when the highs were cranked.
    Doubt that I will sell it as there were a lot of good memories and the thing looks very cool.
    Check to see if it has the clarity you desire; never owned a SVT450 but used one at a rehearsal facility and I remember that it had a clearer character; defineately does not sound like a tube SVT though.

14. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I found an svt-15en cab locally last night for $300 and snatched it up. I'll update this thread with the results after my band practice on Tuesday night.

$300 may be on the high end for a 15 in the states, but in a smaller market like Ottawa, and in Canada as a whole used gear is sometimes ridiculously priced...not a lot of people are willing to give a deal and a lot of used gear is priced only slightly less than what you can get it for brand new. So here in Soviet-Canuckistan $300 is a steal!

15. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    UPDATE!

Had my first practice using my new/improved rig last night and I must say it was incredible. The SVT-450 is only underpowered if you're using it at 8ohms! At 4ohms it is plenty powerful. The T-40 sounds like an absolute beast coming through it. I primarily use the neck pup in humbucking mode (around 5 or 6) which provides a very smooth, deep tone. Sometimes I combine both pups (neck in HB, bridge in SC) which gets me a more middy tone when I need to cut through and get more definition.

Unfortunately my guitarist is using a 2x12 Crate (albeit nice) combo. He was a bit like this: :meh:

16. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I have compared my Ampeg SVT4-Pro (USA) to my 370 on many occasions. I actually have a write up somewhere - wonder where it is. To make a long story short, the 370 has more "Punch" and seems just as loud. The Ampeg is much more granular in tone and I think much of the power goes into boosting ultra lows and stuff like that. With all the EQs on it you can so about anything and having the adjustable input is always great. I also think that it reacts faster to quickly played notes. Maybe one of the techies can explain that. The point that it is an old amp and have a spare about is well taken. My 370 started to get fuzzy sounding when it warms up now. I have sat it at home while either the Ampeg or an Acoustic 320 gets the gigs - usually the 320.

The 320 does not look as cool - but another amp for you to consider.

Summation - if someone was to offer you either amp for free - take the SVT4-Pro. IF you only have a few bucks, then the 370 is affordable.