Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possibly Sanding Down 96 MIM Jazz to Natural

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, May 11, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience sanding down MIM Jazz basses and can give me some clue at what I'll find as far as the wood. I'd like to sand mine down and just put a natural gloss on it. I'm hoping to get to something like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64400&item=7320724900&rd=1
    but I'm also aware that I might find some very ugly wood. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You won't get that, poplar woods have a nasty grain. The grain is very pronounced and from what I hear is greenish in hue. Not good for natural finishes, this is why all poplar bodies are painted!

3. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    That's what I thought (and what I feared :( )
    Thanks for the post.

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Poplar is known for its ugly greenish hue. If you still want to proceed and do not care about diminished vlaue, you could sand down the back first to see how ugly it is. Someone here on TB sanded down a poplar SUB bass and it wasn't too bad. Mind you, nowhere near the beautiful ash body you linked in the first post, but not terribly ugly... :meh: